6BG6 = 6L6GC with top cap - cheap! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2007, 08:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default 6BG6 = 6L6GC with top cap - cheap!

For anyone interested, I found out about this tube on another forum and thought I should mention it here. See the advert in this link . (I have no connection with the vendor).
Old 31st May 2007, 10:39 AM   #2
wa4htz is offline wa4htz  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Ray,

I think these are more like Super 6BG6 = 7027A with the higher plate voltage rating of the 6BG6. They were mentioned a couple of times on this forum some time ago but little discussion ensued. I remember SY said he had bought several and had them running in a few power amps but didn't give any more details. He also said in another post that these were definitely not high perveance horizontal sweep tubes and apparently did have the 35 watt plate dissipation rating of the 7027A. However, no one has reported anything in detail on their results with these.

I bought 8 of them with the idea of building a pair of push-pull monoblocks (and have some spares for re-tubing). My idea is to use the high end Edcor P-P (CXPP) series and a pair of these to build 40 - 50 watt amps and see just how much performance can be squeezed out of these value priced parts. That project is some time down the road for me because a preamp/headphone amp is going to come first.

I had a good experience dealing with Mike, WB0SND. I exchanged a couple of emails with him and my tubes arrived promptly and well packaged. He seems like one of the good guys.

Ken
Old 31st May 2007, 10:43 AM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've posted about these several times. At this point, I've bought several dozen with not a clunker so far. They are (except for basing) identical to 7027. What else needs to be said?

Ditto, I've had nothing but good experience with Mike.
Old 31st May 2007, 10:50 AM   #4
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
It's not a 6L6GC

Vg2 and Pa is lower..

That said, late production stuffs are most likely rebottled 'GCs anyhow, but the rating is not guaranteed.
Old 31st May 2007, 11:02 AM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

IIRC, Tubelab bought some too and confirmed Mike's claims that you can run the voltages at 6L6GC levels with no problems. I've got a set in my Eico HF87, 475V on both plate and screen, no issues at all. Pa = 35W seems to be absolutely reasonable.
Old 31st May 2007, 12:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
IIRC, Tubelab bought some too and confirmed Mike's claims that you can run the voltages at 6L6GC levels with no problems. I've got a set in my Eico HF87, 475V on both plate and screen, no issues at all. Pa = 35W seems to be absolutely reasonable.
Let me reconfirm Sy's post. Also, that same plate structure is used in the 6L6WGB JAN Philips tubes. It's the GC guts for sure.

Both the WGB and the 6BG6 with that plate will take the voltages of a GC just fine.

The ealier 6BG6s are very usable tubes, but they meltdown pretty quickly at the GC voltage/current levels.
Old 31st May 2007, 05:46 PM   #7
engels is offline engels  Israel
diyAudio Member

Question cap

I've bought four of these for $9 per one. RCA blackplates, look promising.
I'm planning to make an amp but have to order anode caps and there are two types that seem to fit but I'm not sure which one is right: there's 3/8" and 7/16".
The seller's description says they both fit 807 and I think it's the same type = small cap C1-1.
Which cap fits 6BG6???

Hide this!Advertise here!