TubelabSE - Anyone built? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2007, 09:24 AM   #1
eeyore is offline eeyore  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default TubelabSE - Anyone built?

Hi, just wondering if there are people out there who have had experiences, listening or building the TubeLabSE amp, using the 417A/5842 and 300B? The site is located - TubeLabSE . Thanks!
Old 31st May 2007, 05:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassrogue
I have two of his boards, the Tubelab S.E. and the SImple S.E.
I have been collecting parts but no building yet. Soon I hope.
Old 31st May 2007, 05:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I tried to contact the guy about purchasing a few boards, and he hasn't got back to me yet, seems like a very tempting offering that he has... Any chance how to get in touch with him?

Further, has anyone compared the finished amps?
Old 31st May 2007, 01:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassrogue
I emailed him. George is a very busy guy so be patient.
Old 31st May 2007, 02:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I just got back from a two week trip. I have about 100 emails in my inbox. I will go through them this weekend. There are 2 from Australia, if one of them is yours, I will reply with ordering info.

I have built dozens of tube amps, including several versions of these amps. I have an obviously biased opinion, but the TubelabSE is still the best sounding amp that I have for critical listening. My favorite one uses 45 tubes, which don't get very loud on my speakers but have excellent sound. The SimpleSE amp is a good compromise between simplicity and performance. It gives up a little detail in exchange for ease in construction and zero maintenance.

The TubelabSE has been around for two years. I have heard from several people who have completed their amps, and are happy with them. Comments range from "I like it" to " this is the first amp that I have owned that could startle my golden retriever".

I have only been selling the SimpleSE board for a few weeks. I have only heard from one person who has completed his amp (two days after he got the board). He was impressed, and had just ordered a bunch of different tubes to try in it.
Old 31st May 2007, 08:57 PM   #6
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

I also would like to get a Tubelab SE board (or a SimpleSE board - I'm not choosy - what the heck, maybe both) when you get ready to start selling boards.

Will you have an announcement here, or should I watch your web site?
Old 31st May 2007, 11:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi, tubelab = George?

Thanks for your response. I look forward to receiving the prices. I assume the pcb also comes with various component lists?

Thanks!
Old 1st June 2007, 03:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi, tubelab = George?
Tubelab = George and Sherri, I would be George.

Quote:
I assume the pcb also comes with various component lists?
I have placed the parts list with DigiKey and Mouser part numbers and the important criteria for each part on the web site. The SimpleSE parts list has been refreshed with the exact part numbers that I used in the latest amplifiers that I built. I am finishing up two TubelabSE amps, and I will post the updated parts list from those builds shortly. There are some parts on the published list for the TubelabSE that are no longer available. Substitutes are being tested this weekend. All of the build information that I have is currently posted on the web site.

I realize that people in other countries are likely to order parts from a local distributor. In this case you can look up the DigiKey or Mouser part number, call up the spec sheet and use it to find a similar part from your local distributor.

Quote:
I also would like to get a Tubelab SE board (or a SimpleSE board - I'm not choosy - what the heck, maybe both) when you get ready to start selling boards. Will you have an announcement here, or should I watch your web site?
I had planned a big banner across my home page, when everything was ready, but in reality I have been selling TubelabSE boards for over a year and SimpleSE boards for a couple of weeks. People have convinced me that they could build their amplifiers from the assembly manual that is currently on the web site. I have not yet had the time to figure out how the " integrated shopping cart" feature that my web hosting company uses is supposed to work with Microsoft Front Page, so I have been doing business via email. These things will come in time.

People kept emailing and asking for boards, so I sent them. I have been using feedback from these "early adopters" to refine the assembly manual. Feedback from early purchasers and who wanted a second amp, and people who desired an SE amp, but didn't like the complexity or the prices of DHT's, led to the design of the SimpleSE. The TubelabSE was designed so I could build DHT amplifiers, and sell them. I didn't design it originally to be assembled by others. The assembly manual was written after the amp was designed. The SimpleSE was designed from the beginning to be a "kit" amplifier and the assembly manual was written as the board, and associated amplifiers were designed and built. It therefore is much easier to build.

Both assembly manuals are considered "works in progress" and will be updated continuously. The SimpleSE manual is fairly complete, and the TubelabSE manual will be improved and updated as I get time. Watch the web site, if at any time you feel that the assembly manual gives you all the information needed to build your amp, send me an email, and I will get you a board.

At this time I can only ship to countries served by the US postal service's Global Priority Mail service. It is the only economical choice. Paying Fedex $35 to ship a $35 board just doesn't make sense.

I can not answer Tubelab related email from work (a couple of forum posts / day are OK so far). I get home from work late each day (8PM) so I don't have much time for email. I answer email from purchasers first, so other emails sometimes don't get answered until the weekend. I have been away for two weeks, so I have some catching up to do.
Old 1st June 2007, 03:35 PM   #9
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

George,

Thanks, I'll send you an e-mail. Reply at your convenience; I'm in no hurry.

Win W5JAG
Old 1st June 2007, 07:36 PM   #10
Kyle K is offline Kyle K  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi George,

I noticed on the schematic for the Simple SE that you are running the cathode feedback from the cathode bypass cap only. Do you find any sonic differences between this way versus running the cathode bias current through the OPT secondary?

Thanks,

Kyle

Hide this!Advertise here!