• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

help needed with noise in phono preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi AGain
http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/cornetoctal.pdf
I found this link on the forums
I will hand sketch a schematic of my grounds without the circuit.
Also i think i am getting noise from my 6v lm338k regulator boards.. i am increasing the filtration on that.. i will send you a readily available schematic for the lm338k (or at least a link.
I will get on to the grounding schematic this evening.. unfortunately i must go to work...yawn
Thanks again
Nick

Attachments

• 00906001.jpg
    00906001.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 160
Re: I could have cleaned the dust off them

duderduderini said:
They were clean 2 days ago!!
Heres both together

An easy thing to try is to move the power supply well away from the phone section. And, try rotating one or the other. I don't see MC transformers on the inputs (which can easily pick up stray mag fields), so this may not help - but it's a trivial test.

Sheldon

Problem Solved.

Hi everyone.
Well I am a fan of happy endings and after a lot of thought i figured this might be dc heater supply noise. In essence the standard circuit provided by the lm338k manufacturers essentially stipulate a 0.1 uF on the input and a 1uF on the output.. I had a look at some other sites and i placed 2000uF on the input side with a 0.1uF tantalum and a 001uF disc capon the output. Problem fixed!!
Might I say this is a very lovely sounding phono stage and I would recommend Jims design and obvious ability. I settled in to listen to a night of LP's ...marvellous. After about one hour I got some motorboating in the right channel... well its 2 am here now and i will investigate this tommorow.
I would like to thank all of you for your interest, suggestions and kindness. The world becomes a different place when there is help around.
Cheers
Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.