help needed with noise in phono preamp - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2007, 09:17 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hi AGain
http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/cornetoctal.pdf
I found this link on the forums
I will hand sketch a schematic of my grounds without the circuit.
Also i think i am getting noise from my 6v lm338k regulator boards.. i am increasing the filtration on that.. i will send you a readily available schematic for the lm338k (or at least a link.
I will get on to the grounding schematic this evening.. unfortunately i must go to work...yawn
Thanks again
Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00906001.jpg (16.5 KB, 131 views)
Old 29th May 2007, 02:39 AM   #22
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I could have cleaned the dust off them

Quote:
Originally posted by duderduderini
They were clean 2 days ago!!
Heres both together
An easy thing to try is to move the power supply well away from the phone section. And, try rotating one or the other. I don't see MC transformers on the inputs (which can easily pick up stray mag fields), so this may not help - but it's a trivial test.

Sheldon
Old 31st May 2007, 03:35 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Problem Solved.

Hi everyone.
Well I am a fan of happy endings and after a lot of thought i figured this might be dc heater supply noise. In essence the standard circuit provided by the lm338k manufacturers essentially stipulate a 0.1 uF on the input and a 1uF on the output.. I had a look at some other sites and i placed 2000uF on the input side with a 0.1uF tantalum and a 001uF disc capon the output. Problem fixed!!
Might I say this is a very lovely sounding phono stage and I would recommend Jims design and obvious ability. I settled in to listen to a night of LP's ...marvellous. After about one hour I got some motorboating in the right channel... well its 2 am here now and i will investigate this tommorow.
I would like to thank all of you for your interest, suggestions and kindness. The world becomes a different place when there is help around.
Cheers
Nick

Hide this!Advertise here!