• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pentode driver and IT?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all

I have a question about Interstage Transformers with pentode drivers in a SE amp. Why havent I seen any such amps? What's the reason for this? Are there any reasons for why not?

Looking forward to more info on this.

Best Regards

We91,

The lack of SE IT's in general and pentode SE IT's in particular has to do with how difficult it is to get them to work. There is no such thing as a generic SE IT for pentodes. Each would have to be made for a specific driver tube, run under a specific set of conditions. Then would come all of the cut and try and measuring because the math just falls apart when you get to this level of complexity. If you are willing to spend the money, and it will run to several hundred dollars, you might interest a custom house in attempting it. But, there would be no guarantee you would get what you thought you paid for and that it would work as you wanted. Spend your money on a really good coupling cap.

Bud

WE91 said:
I have a question about Interstage Transformers with pentode drivers in a SE amp. Why havent I seen any such amps? What's the reason for this? Are there any reasons for why not?

It's not done due to the enormous plate resistance of pentodes. That would require likewise enormous inductances. You also can't use high u triodes for the same reason. with xfmr coupling, you can't use any triode with a u in excess of 20, or so to keep the plate resistance down.

There are some topologies that add lots of local NFB in order to reduce the otherwise unacceptable pentode plate resistance. However, I haven't seen that done in anything other than AM modulators where fidelity isn't a concern.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.