• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Plate Caps for 832A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know of any tube caps that can fit the 832A, or can recommend modifications of existing plate caps?

832A.jpg

Info on the tube here: http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/show.php?des=832A

I don't believe thay make such a thing. What I'd do is get a couple of Fahnstock connectors, and use those to connect to the plate pins. (Also looks like they're due for a good cleaning.) Granted, they're not insulated, so you'll have to cage those beasts to eliminate the shock hazard.

The other possibility is to have a couple turned from brass rod stock. These can even be made with cooling fins (which is what you'd do if using them as RF amps, or audio if you're pushing the max ratings). The connections would be made with small set screws. Again, you'll have to cage 'em.

I will be doing an 832A PP and the best suggestion I found is using the female pins of a computer hard disk power connector and crimping it a bit to fit the "horns". Then using shrink tubes to insulate it, a couple of layers should be enough.

Nice thoughts guys...
I've searched the net and found only pictures of "normal" ceramic caps on the 832A but no part numbers or sizes. I was thinking I could purchase ceramic caps then solder in hard disk female pins into the caps which would make it look pretty and all. and trim down the 832 pins to fit.

Here's some pics I found on the net
832caps.jpg
832caps2.jpg

832caps3.jpg

What I would do if it were me in need would be shape some yellow brass rod stock to the same ID as an 805 anode connector with a hole coaxially down the center just the right clearance to fit the 829832 pin into. A hex head miniature setscrew buried in the side would assure contact and integrity. Then use a standard ceramic plate connector. You could also go with the smaller 807 size plate connector set but there won`t be enough room to insert a set screw into the side of the brass slug unless the coaxial hole is way offset from center.

JORGETronic said:
What about to use a car spark plugs connector and two component epoxi to buil a cap around the spark plug....

I have never seen anyone make a P-P audio output stage using spark plugs. Sounds like quite a challenge. Being into Tesla coils I know that spark gaps can be used as negative resistance devices and thus provide power gain in devices such as power oscillators. My hat is off to anyone who succeeds in making a listenable audio amplifier using this technology. :smash:

I do not see how employing the unscrewable aluminum cap from a spark plug would work out very well. This is a high heat location and I would want nothing but metal on metal, not allegedly conductive glue in the audio signal path. Many automotive spark plug cable ends are really hard to press and remove from the strong spark plug. The tube probably would get broken under similar forces IMO.

alexg said:

Cool, those are nice caps.

Can you post schematics of your 829/832 amps? Thanks.

Dear alexg,
At begin, i'm intend using schematic from website http://www.pmillett.com/829b_amplifier.htm
But now I have an idea to design PP amplifier with 829B tube. Every body here please suggest me some schematics for 829B PP amplifier with only one 829B tube per channel.
Thank you in adv.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.