• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anyone have a picture of the Silver Seven?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seem to recall a hifi mag interview with Carver where he basically claimed that he'd built the silver 7 as a stupidly expensive unit primarily to prove that audiofools would be dumb enough to buy it.

What truth there was in this or if he was being deliberately inflammatory in order to court attention is anyone's guess.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• Carver-Dog-devil.png
    Carver-Dog-devil.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 111
Tubes are too close together.

F.e, the MO Valve KT88 spec sheet asks for centers of sockets to be no less than 4 inches (10cm) apart - while maintaining a certain anode orientation between tubes at the same time. (The later because BPTs impose asymmetric thermal loading on their anodes due to the "beam power" construction. Makes sense when the tubes are oriented in a line. MO Valve Company obviously didn´t expect many KT88s to be placed in a "field" ...)

These requirements could be found in some other spec sheets which did copy from the original specs, too.

Regards,

Tom Schlangen

Seem to recall a hifi mag interview with Carver where he basically claimed that he'd built the silver 7 as a stupidly expensive unit primarily to prove that audiofools would be dumb enough to buy it.

What truth there was in this or if he was being deliberately inflammatory in order to court attention is anyone's guess.

Well ,

One year ago , I made a TOTAL ( yes really TOTAL ) reconstruction of a pair of The Silver Seven , for a client that really loves it ( don't ask me why !! )

Four heavy and big chassis ( two for P.S. and two for the amp unit ) . In the
reconstruction I used the best parts that I could get ( my client's desire )
and he bought 15 matched PAIRS of NOS KT88 . He spent a LOOOT of money and I did a very nice and very well done work .

BUT IMHO , the final result does not worth the time , the money and the
effort , the sound is cold , does not have charm neither soul , sounded like
an ordinary tube amp with only more power.

The BIG problem , was the "in rush" current , every time I turned the power on , there was no reasonable value of fuse , that did not blow up . I solved
the problem , building an external soft start , with three sequencial stages .

BUT that is MY oppinion ,fortunately , my client did love it and until today , he exalts my job . Well , that is enough for me .

Only a little history to illustrate the subject .:)

Regards ,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.