• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a glossary of terms somehwere where I can look up the abbreviations you guys use ? I can follow through most of this stuff, but I don't know what a TVC is , or other such terms.

Any ideas where I can look this stuff up ?

Thanks, sorry for off post, just trying to understand the thread better .

......................Blake

Hi folks , a question about a hum noise in buffer circuit with a simple crc+ 2last separate rc for each channel. I'm no surprise for litle noise with this kind of supply, but the noise go down a lot at maximum volume without and song is very clear the change of level...
Could somebody light me about?
Thanks a lot for any answer ...

The pot is an blue alpls, the cover is mainly in plastic i have to ground the upper side? I'll try this evening thanks a lot!
the sound it's very good! I'll try with SE EL34 and with a little T-amp and result was fantastic gain in deep, detail and "body" of sound..., I'm thinkng to separate in two cabinet pre and supply for give him in future the chance of better supply based on your circuit.

Salas,
Time to rebuild the 6v6 preamp and I had a couple of questions. If I wanted to have balanced out, would it be smarter to use a unity gain phase splitter like the one found in the impasse, or a transformer? Would a standard 600: 600 transformer work on the output or would it cause issue? Lastly, have you had a chance to listen to the Amtrans Carbon Film?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Such Tx would load down the gain version's higher than 600R Zo. Better an active splitter, or step down 5k primary Tx instead of resistor anode load with balanced secondary. Given that your system gain allows 1:3 gain loss at the pre. Line noise will go down accordingly as microphony also nonetheless.

*No use of Amtrans yet. BTW they have given good feedback on it in the phono thread but they ultimately preferred the very low ppm foil and the non inductive ww very low ppm too. But in no power demanding locations.