• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Salas,

I've built a resistor loaded version of your 6V6 preamp with my B+ of only 300V, so I used 7.5K anode resistor as recommended by you with very good result.

I have a pair of Magnequest plate chokes, BCP-15 which is 50H/40ma/575ohm. I'd like to know if theirs inductance is enough for adequate bass response and in the case they can be used then how is the new B+ should be.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Congratulations for your build. Let us know more about the system you added it in. Build photos are welcome. About the plate chokes, yes they are a bit on the low Henry side...

It will roughly show -3dB at 10 Hz and 40deg phase shift there theoretically as a combination. Not great for zero LF phase shift, but it will play bass. Up to you deciding a test if its handy so to see how you like them. It will play couple of dB louder also, so normalize that when comparing. You will be needing 180V B+ for them.

Attachments

• Snap 2013-10-13 at 13.04.15.png
    Snap 2013-10-13 at 13.04.15.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 626
Salas,

Thanks for your response, The system I'm using now consist of:
Source-Mac mini =>DAC-TEAC UD501 => 6V6 preamp => Fetzilla Power amp =>ProAC 2.5 clone

With 6V6 preamp, the system has become very dynamic and the frequency response is good from bass to treble, very good for classical music which I listen most of the time. I'm sorry no picture at the moment.
I'll try choke load and compare with resistor load later.

Hi Salas,

One more question, sorry for the inconvenience. I also have an ldr based volume control which i will be usinginstead of the 100k pot. Do i still need to wire a 100k resistor from the grid to the ground of the 6v6? Also is it very important to retain the 1k resistor at the grid of the 6v6? In my last build i took it out as it sounded a little better without it.

Thanks

yes, you need not put in more than what is needed...

the reason people put big caps is so that they can also use the preamp on ss amps which have lower input impedance...

Tubo, you are better off where you are......ours is a land of sorrows, both man made and natural calamities abound, you must have heard the news....

Winter came, got cold outside - finally - so found some time to rearrange my 6V6 pre as CT and finish the wiring.
If you can live without the gain it has one of the best sound for a preamplifier. Also much easier to get it quiet and not microphonic. I really love it like this.
Sound wise, more bass more resolution and more natural than a #26 or an AVC from Intact audio I was using.
When I find some time and persuade myself to get it out of my system for a few days, I have a more solid aluminum subchassis to put everything on, and maybe arrange thing a little better, especially on the underside!

Attachments

• IMG_2222.JPG
    IMG_2222.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_2220.JPG
    IMG_2220.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 583