• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, I started to interest in measuring now that you bossed me around on it a bit. Common mode chokes are good, with or without crappy measuring tools:)

But I think I have ruled out GND artifacts now, its the same results with yeallow/green GND in or out.

The thing that enoys me now is that my UNI-T (that say it shall measuere True RMS) follows the scope measurements anoyingly well but on some different scale. When I get 75 mV PP on Pico I get around the same RMS on the UNI-T

The DMM has 10MegOhm impedance, maybe that scope probe is another story. And mV in kHz are not a DMM's AC best sens.
If you want to know your DMM reports TRMS well put it on your Wavetek gen's output. Set the output at 1V range using sinewave. Then press square and triangle. It should show you x1.414 & 0.82 the previous RMS. Use 500HZ.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yup. Need to invest in good probes, but otherwise works great. $100 on fleabay. Need to get a good sig gen, the PC can't put out clean HF square waves. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. Wrks great for distortion and that is what I got it for.

You do nothing wrong, the PC has a ringing problem with squarewaves. Get GW Instek 1013. 3MHZ DDS +/- 20ppm range stability per year level. Cheap.

FRom memory, it was pretty clean. First go round, I did my own boards. Only issue was drift of 170, i believe. Maybe due to heat, but I think you now suggest 117. I haev it sitting in closet waiting for two new Lundahl PSU chokes and more filtration. Trying to decide between single transformer and dual prereg feeding dual SSHV or dual allthe way. Got nice EI, but it is 230. NOt big deal to add outlet, as it seems like i nice one.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Know your wiggles

:)

Attachments

• VarSqrW.png
    VarSqrW.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 359
Cool. Lower left corner is a common one on my scoopings, but according to the pic the upper right one, rounded in all corners is better? Phase shift, what does that mean, what happens in the amp and why?

Btw I was at a friend last night and exchanged a bag of beer for one of his 5 scopes (or two actually) so now I possibly have something to relate the other measures to. Came home a bit late and a bit unsteady on hand so I skipped the HV fiddle.

Well. I dont know if theres crap behind the buttons or behind the probes but this is what I could get out of the old Hameg 303-6 I borrowed.
First pic rectifiers (first C) 0,2 V/div 2 ms/div, second pic on second C 5 mV/div 5 ms/div third pic over dummy without SSHV 5mV/div 5 ms/div, fourth pic on SSHV dummy 5 mV/div 1 ms/div

Attachments

• 6V6 010 (3000x2000).jpg
    6V6 010 (3000x2000).jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 329
  • 6V6 015 (3000x2000).jpg
    6V6 015 (3000x2000).jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 6V6 021 (3000x2000).jpg
    6V6 021 (3000x2000).jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 255
  • 6V6 023 (3000x2000).jpg
    6V6 023 (3000x2000).jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
For those of you interested in testing your amplifiers, I built a version of this oscillator

Injection-lock a Wien-bridge oscillator | EDN

and got it to measure distortion of about 0.0006% (-104dB) at about 5V RMS output. Why this is significant? Because you will pay big $$ for a signal generator that has such output at such low distortion, but it'll cost very little to build the circuit in the above link. The problem with a sound card like the E-MU 0404 used to generate the signal is that as soon as you want a signal higher than about 300mV RMS you'll notice that the distortion of the generated signal is quite high.

In my opinion this little oscillator is good enough for testing tube gear. If people are interested I can post construction and parts choice details (which opamp, which light bulb, which buffer for output, etc.).

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well. I dont know if theres crap behind the buttons or behind the probes but this is what I could get out of the old Hameg 303-6 I borrowed.
First pic rectifiers (first C) 0,2 V/div 2 ms/div, second pic on second C 5 mV/div 5 ms/div third pic over dummy without SSHV 5mV/div 5 ms/div, fourth pic on SSHV dummy 5 mV/div 1 ms/div

All in order. Told ya it was a ghost.;)