• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Well sqarewaves are squarewaves and music is music. Squarewaves are good for tracking problems, not so good for judging the goods or bads in a music machine. No news for anyone here I guess.

Vgeorge, I wouldnt be surpriced is the 25 mA iron is on the edge of saturating, and that might be what we are looking at.

There is lots of line trafos that leaves unnoticable footprints on squarewaves, I think its more of an implementation thing.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Still the wiggle was no accident, it denoted resonance that manifested in excess microphony. Choke load takes double the Ip spec and a snubber it seems so to be judged correctly. It owes to bring less THD and more gain to the plate but in a behaving manner.

I found some Mills 6,8K resistors and put them in.
Plays beautifully now! Excellent sound, I m thrilled!
I will get a stronger subchassis for the parts and rearrange things a bit in the future, now that I do not use the chokes.

Attachments

• IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 431
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This version which stays on the roadmap of the original 6V6 pre concept must be much more economical to make than your splendid #26 build with TVC and OPT? I wonder how closely it fares to the premium preamp in the system. If its a poor man's special pre at all.

Well, first, when I decided to go for #26 pre, I knew I was not aiming for the ultimate fidelity, but for a nice tone and liquid mids. And it has these qualities. This is more truthful to the source and more dynamic with bigger stereo size, depth and resolution.
I' m tempted to take the TVC from the other pre and put it here now that I have the space......