• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

There is no gain in more gain then you need:hphones:
But surely, its better to have most gain where you have a fairly disturbance free surrounding. High gain in the first stages of a power amp for example can easily be affected by a badass trafo for example. The gain needed in your pre is predicted by the sensitivity of your Fujiyama, imho.

Staffan

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Just for the record, I used 2 point grounding like Sakuma. Absolutely no audible hum, at least in my system.

Salas said:
Sakuma was talking the same thing as American engineers call bus bar grounding?

Very similar - see here: Inside Sakuma Amplifier

(Yes, this is from an old post, but I was re-reading this thread and thought you would like to see the link.)

In my build where they are standing near the bottom cover and the 317 sink they get hot and I did not trust 2W. In George's that the box has height and the 317s dissipate at an angle on a large plate maybe 2W they would suffice. After long time some of my tubes tended to give more heater emission and I adjusted them to 20Ω//3.3Ω finally. So even my happier tubes don't overheat. Thermals and voltages are to be checked and adjusted if necessary in individual builds of course. Even another LM317 brand can have a bit different Vref etc.

To get the correct voltage I had to use 20R//3.3R//39-47R MF 0.5W depending on the tube.
Regarding the cement resistors, this is what I had in my stash now. Hope they won' t hurt the sound.
Also I lifted the heaters to around 45V.
In fact I built this amp with everything I had on hand already. I only bought the tubes.

Last edited:
Fukushima?
Vgeorge, I want th elow down on your Speakers. I have some Altec 416's and 288's sitting here waiting on boxes. I was going to put the 416's in a large Ml-TWQT, showing pretty flat response down to 35, with nic slow taper. I am afraid I dont have the rrom for true bass horns like yours. The 18's look like they are from AE.

Buzz, I am using a combination of horn bass reflex from 80Hz to about 700Hz.
Regarding your 416, the thing is how well they are going to integrate with the horn and at what sensitivity, if you plan to use only one amplifier. With what horn are you planing to use your 288 with? For bass they are TD15X from Lambda, before they were taken over by AE. The box is big because I already had it and had the room for it. My plan is to integrate with the main speakers sometime in the future.

Regarding gain structure, I think it depends on the maximum loudness you want to play sometimes. You have to adjust your system for that. If you want to rock hard sometimes, and your system can do that with no distortion, you want to adjust for that. Keep in mind also that some recordings are lower in level than others. With the TSSA I am using you can tune the gain to around 20 or 26 dB. I am using the higher gain now, but the 6V6 gives me the opportunity to use the lower gain, which I think has a tad better sound.

Buzz, I am using a combination of horn bass reflex from 80Hz to about 700Hz.
Regarding your 416, the thing is how well they are going to integrate with the horn and at what sensitivity, if you plan to use only one amplifier. With what horn are you planing to use your 288 with? For bass they are TD15X from Lambda, before they were taken over by AE. The box is big because I already had it and had the room for it. My plan is to integrate with the main speakers sometime in the future.

I plan to mate them to Iwata 290 to begin with. It will allow me to easily cross in the same range you have chosen. If i really like what i hear, i may try the azurahorn, since it is made specifically for the 288. I have my eye on the FD371 for top end, as most concede that the 288's need help up high. As stated earlier, the 416-8A will take bass duties in MLTQWT that is 25" wide by about 40"tall. The width will match the iwata width. I have considered making flange adapter that i can add to MLTQWT enclisure that will turn it into a horn. For the iwata, i will have custom mounting ring made to match throat angle of 288 and tie into Iwata.

I plan to mate them to Iwata 290 to begin with. It will allow me to easily cross in the same range you have chosen. If i really like what i hear, i may try the azurahorn, since it is made specifically for the 288. I have my eye on the FD371 for top end, as most concede that the 288's need help up high. As stated earlier, the 416-8A will take bass duties in MLTQWT that is 25" wide by about 40"tall. The width will match the iwata width. I have considered making flange adapter that i can add to MLTQWT enclisure that will turn it into a horn. For the iwata, i will have custom mounting ring made to match throat angle of 288 and tie into Iwata.

Buzz, looking forward for your results. Hope you like the outcome! The FD371 looks really nice.

Now playing!

Attachments

• IMG_1719.jpg
    IMG_1719.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_1730.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG
    687.3 KB · Views: 465
Hey it has a window even and retro looks. Red and green LEDS for what? Heaters on and HT on?

Yes, heaters and HT.
It was an old chassis and the holes existed already for the leds.
I painted the chassis for retro look, this was my intention. The mesh window helps ventilation for the valves. It already had it, though.

I had a small buzz in the beginning and had to rearrange the earthing on the phono, now it' s fairly quite. Very sensitive to microphonics, not a real problem now, but I will take more measures to isolate the tubes from vibration in the near future.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You got twice the gain than others now with the choke. Eat it out in the power amp and help the tubes isolation also will pay. When back on the bench to do something to it, if you will remember please set your pot half way and try get the -3dB bandwidth point (6 squares on the scope reducing to 4). Then run a square wave at about a 15 times lower frequency and take a pic, I wanna know how it behaves in real life with choke load VS LTspice. Bcs I have the resistive option I can only measure here. Thanks and have good listening.

I will, maybe tomorrow.
I will also reduce power amp gain and see.
Regarding sound quality, I must say I am thrilled!
Well worth the effort. Very detailed and holographic sound. Also bass is very tight and defined and at the same time very nice on voices with no trace of harshness.
P.S I am using obligato gold 1,5uF // ft-3 0.1uF at the output.

Finally took some measurements, as Salas requested.
First set is with the pot full on.
Gate stopper is 150R Shinkoh.
BW seems to be around 250kHz.

Attachments

• IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    890 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_1749.JPG
    IMG_1749.JPG
    879.4 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_1751.JPG
    IMG_1751.JPG