• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
125C 5AR4 bottle 60C base. 110C 6V6 Tungsol bottle 50C base. That is on thick copper mounting plate. If there will be a regulator(s) in there make sure its sink sits on top with fins vertical. It can produce gobs of heat at those voltages and currents especially if a parallel type one.

I hate metal work. Well not really hate. But it takes so much longer.

What preamp did the Salas 6v6 replace in your case?

I had several versions of the 12b4 prior to this. Although nice it isnt in the same league.

I am not sure what the concensus is but as far as heaters are concerned, I am going back to AC. I am currently set up with a SSLV V1 as the filament supply since I had a few laying around. The AC is simpler and quicker. FYI I have the 0dB gain version.

BAs. Here is mine. THis is how far i got the case before listening to it. I have made zero progress since. THe ultimate endorsement!

Attachments

• DSC_0065.JPG
    DSC_0065.JPG
    732.1 KB · Views: 637
Okay, you guys have motivated me to get mine in a case. Bas and Buzz, forgive me in advance as I am going to steal bits of your chassis design to make mine.

Here it is now, and has been for almost 6 mos. Since it is staying it is time to make it safe with a decent WAF. I will keep you posted. Looking forward to getting in the woodshop.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 566
How much of the circuit's quality is depending on the stiffness of the power supply? I mean, is the active regulation (and fixed heater current) obligatory for good operation?

NB Bas, are you gluing in the transformers and capacitors?

Last edited: