• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Well, the question is -- 6N30P unbalanced in/balanced out line amp for my push-pull 2A3 amp? Or plate-choke loaded 6V6 line amp (unbalanced in and out)?

But wait... Somebody here is going to have this great idea for how to take the 6V6 line amp and add a balanced out... Oh no....

I was afraid of that.

But no, I don't want to spend the money for a pair of OPT's. Tell you what...

I have a pair of old UTC CG51AX interstage transformers. The primary is 22H measured on my LC meter, DCR is 1050 ohms. I can commit these to the cause. I would use only their primaries as the plate loads.

I figure 22H and DCR = 1050R loading a triode with an rp of 2k ohms will give a -3dB point of about 7 Hz.

Can these IT transformers deliver their inductance under a 22mA load? Well I don't know. Is there a way to infer from the L and DCR what the current capacity is?

--

Sorry, did not see any software tools. What am I looking for?
--

Since the primary was intended to be a plate load (the secondary is a push-pull winding), wouldn't that primary work as a plate choke? I have no idea if there is an air gap in the core. There just isn't much info available for UTC CG51AX.

Back in 2005 on another forum, someone wrote:

"I have a pair of UTC CG51AX ITs (sorry, no link) which according to UTC can adapt just about anything to a 2A3, 6L6, or similar. The catalog doesn't provide impedence specs but claime to "match single tubes like 6C5, 6C4, 12AU7, 2A3, 5814A" to tubes like "2A3 or 6L6". There are two primary connections and 5 (I believe) secondary connections, one is ct. Ratio is specified as 2.8:1 or 3.1:1 primary to 1/2 secondary. Also the IT is rated at 5W."

I don't know how 5W translates to max current capacity before core saturation. Just Ea times Ia?

What is the lowest plate current you'd use with a 6V6-triode in this circuit?

--

Info on the CG51AX from an ebay auction:

"The CG-51AX is a Single Plate to Push-Pull Grids Interstage Driver transformer. The Primary was designed for a single 6C5, 12AU7, 6A6, 6N7, 45, 2A3 or other tubes with a maximum of 5 Watts (!); to couple to the Grids of 45, 46, 2A3, 6L6 or other push-pull audio output tubes. The Secondary can be configured for a Ratio of 2.8:1 or 3:1 Primary to 1/2 Secondary, making these interstage driver transformers very versatile. Maximum Level is 5 Watts on the Primary. Frequency Response is actually impressive for a Single Plate to Push-Pull Grids transformer that can handle significant unbalanced DC in the primary, listed as 40-10KHz + or - 1 1/2 db. Each of these vintage UTC transformers is physically about 3 1/4"H with base width of 2 9/16" x 2 9/16" which have mounting center holes at 2 3/32" square. "

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
so , don't worry

regarding software tools on vt52 , look harder

due to frame based site , I can't give you direct link

Attachments

• 28.4.gif
    28.4.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 751
Interesting. It says that for rp = 2k and L = 22H that the -3dB point will be 14Hz. That's not so great, is it.

Why is that so different from the other equation I found?

-3dB down point: X_L = DCR + 2πfL = rp

Is that one wrong? It predicts a -3dB point at only 7Hz.

:scratch1:

--

I'll go with the worst-case scenario and figure on -3dB at 14 Hz. That's not so great...

--

BTW, lots of cool stuff on that site! Thanks.

Last edited: