• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ah, its an old celebrated electronics thing the grids and plates, magic in the glowing glass etc. must be much about. Wikipedia I suppose, tube blogs, classic thermionic engineering articles you can google up, and of course do a search for triode and tetrode/pentode, triode strapped pentode VS pentode in DIYA, the most in depth musing about tube audio amps modes is here by a good chance.

Salas,
I have read other places that when arranging chokes and caps, you sometimes have to be careful about arrangement. Is the arrangement in the pic OK or will it cause problems between different components. Cjoke will be enclosed in wood boax matching main amp. White box is tube rectifier.

sorry. must not have hit upload.

Attachments

• DSC_0026.JPG
    DSC_0026.JPG
    710.5 KB · Views: 784
Going t be setting up a little test bed today. I am going to add my new choke and film caps to the PSU, but before making final decision bout tube vs SS rectification, I am going to wire it up with a switch so that I can hear both SS and tube rectifiers going through the new choke and caps. Time for a little AB testing.

They will be o the signal side of the amp, away from the heat. After pulling the prefilter from the main amp, I will be able to push the SSHV2 all the way to the other side and put it on even bigger sink. Question, my NOS RCA's balance perfectly a 6.3V using your filament supply. Should i drop this some or leave as is. THese things are known for their toughness, just making sure.

Soon to be matching PSU. Will have s switch alllowingme to switch from SS ro Tube rectification. Was going to do AB testing as stated, but figured if i could leave it in without detriment, why not. Sides will be aluminum matching main pre of course, and choke will be put in aluminum box. Will not get it finished tonight to listen, oh well.

Attachments

• DSC_0029.JPG
    DSC_0029.JPG
    712.6 KB · Views: 705
Ah, its an old celebrated electronics thing the grids and plates, magic in the glowing glass etc. must be much about. Wikipedia I suppose, tube blogs, classic thermionic engineering articles you can google up, and of course do a search for triode and tetrode/pentode, triode strapped pentode VS pentode in DIYA, the most in depth musing about tube audio amps modes is here by a good chance.

I believe that Salas was a powerful alchemist in a former life

HI;
Make sure you check the values of your Mundorf caps.
I wired 4 into an PP amp for a friend; i always checked the values, before i wired them in . .56 caps varied from .37 to .56.
imagine what a .37 and .56 would sound like in a push pull amp.
Not the best for a cap that costs so much?
Phil