• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Here ya go. My next guess is grounding scheme. I have each PSU connected to earth seperately and all signal grounds, plus filament ground starred at regulator output.

Attachments

• DSC_0063.JPG
    DSC_0063.JPG
    731.3 KB · Views: 852
  • DSC_0068.JPG
    DSC_0068.JPG
    744.9 KB · Views: 821
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here ya go. My next guess is grounding scheme. I have each PSU connected to earth seperately and all signal grounds, plus filament ground starred at regulator output.

Try a simple one like this first. Connect signal grounds also to the shown pre-amp star.
*Do I see the plate load resistor directly on +force and then the +sense wire going elsewhere in your pic? It will not do. 2 wire pairs go to 2 defined B+ and GND points. No more on the regulator outputs is allowed.

Attachments

• General.jpg
    General.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 869
Mine is connected this way with the exceptionthat filament ground is attached to sense. I will route it to psu grounds like your pic. Sense wires are both connected to same place as force. Signal grounds are connected as you have them drawn. I will rework signal wiring before work.

Thats where one screw up is. I have B+ connected above Rl and S+ connected below Rl. Found it while rerouting grounds. Unfortunnately i zapped a filament this morning, so i will have to get some more tubes. Lets hope the one channel works. I am changing my avatar to Muddy Waters.... because thats what i do to a thread.

Bingo! Sense transistor was stealing my signal. I have to readjust B+ and install new tubes and we should be ready to go.Thank you for entertaining a fool for so long. Ight as well get a tube rectifier while i am at it. Can i put all the pre filter with seperate psu enclosure. I noticed Gregpry did this. Got shielded AC cable bringimg in both rails currently. Could put small decoupling cap in main box.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I suggest you bring it to ''full play'' status as it is first, 100% nice with no ground loops etc. Evaluate for a while, then you take next steps. Of course you can change arrangement or substitute rectifier, but evolve a good grasp of its practical routing and sound signature first.

I suggest you bring it to ''full play'' status as it is first, 100% nice with no ground loops etc. Evaluate for a while, then you take next steps. Of course you can change arrangement or substitute rectifier, but evolve a good grasp of its practical routing and sound signature first.

Excellent advice. Just excited to get it running. I like things to be tidy, so i immediately started thinking about ways to "clean it up". PRefilter outside of the box would help a lot. Oh well. In time. Thanks Salas.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I understand you want to finish it optimally all in one go but a P2P tube preamplifier with specialized regulators and CCS for heaters, two channels in a box and all that routing, can bring too much new data in one go for a first attempt by a class A Mosfet background guy. So far much is done in not too much magic smoke. Take a breath.