• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Assembly begins!

Attachments

• DSC_0091.JPG
    DSC_0091.JPG
    770.6 KB · Views: 826
Asked in SSHV thread, but thought i would ask here too.

"Stupid question, I know. But to do final adjustements with tube attached, does the filament voltage also need to be attached. I would assume that without it, the tube is non operable."

I just wanted to quote myself.

So, with filament not hooked up, I set the SSHV2 voltage to 340 as stated on the schematic. When the filament heaters are hooked up, it drops to 300. Is this correct? i tried adjusting up with filament heaters attached and it wouldnt move. Checked again with filaments unhooked and it read over 350. Also, with secondary of trafo wire in series, using seperate regulators, i get one filament dropping 6.1V and the other dropping 5.7V. not eaxactly matched. Is this a result of sharing a secondary or mismatch of tubes?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, its not correct, you probably need more CCS current.
For the heaters it looks more like tolerances in Ih, 317internal Vref, resistor's %. Parallel the resistor in the 5.7V one with 100R to see what happens, if it gains, find one that will give you 6.1V. That Vh is good for longer life than 6.3V also.

Sorry, misunderstood that you were addressing both problems in previous post. I am only running a single SSHV2, perhaps with second one in operation, things may change without need for adjustment. Feel pretty comfortable with what is going on now, so i should be able to work it out.