• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

6V6-triode loadlines w/ Vbb = 450V, Ra = 10k or 15k

6V6GT_Triode_LOADLINES_10k15k.jpg

Looks pretty linear, no?

components

Which pot values seemed to work out best for the CC version, 50 or 100 k?

I used a 1 k Dale CW-2B-13 non magnetic wirewound as gridstopper, seemed to work. Other preferences?

Did you find other cruical components like anode/kathode resistors, bypass caps etc, except the output cap of course.

Staffan

I am using 100k Blue Alps initially and then 100k ladder type on final with metal film. Actually prefer the Blue Alps. 50k Will work, but input impedance is very high with CF arangment like mine so 100k to me was best as it provides a lighter load to source.

Grid stopper I use 1/4W 1K carbon Comp like kiwanee, Also use Vishay Dale 1k for prototype. Input cap I use the FT-3 as it has been a consistant performer. The output is a Mundorf Supreme. In both versions either the Cthode bypass or the input caps need to be of high quality. The caps become more personal choice.

Thanks for that - the original GE datasheet for 6V6 notes that any mounting position is fine. Couldn't confirm for 5AR4 though.

Also, on the note of the cathode bypass capacitor, I've seen several values used on the thread, ranging from 220uF to 1000uF in various schematics. Has the consensus been reached at 1000uF? Elna Silmic II is readily available in 1000uF @ 35V.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Which pot values seemed to work out best for the CC version, 50 or 100 k?

I used a 1 k Dale CW-2B-13 non magnetic wirewound as gridstopper, seemed to work. Other preferences?

Did you find other cruical components like anode/kathode resistors, bypass caps etc, except the output cap of course.

Staffan

My choice:

Resistor: Mills
Capacitor: Black Gate

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks for that - the original GE datasheet for 6V6 notes that any mounting position is fine. Couldn't confirm for 5AR4 though.

Also, on the note of the cathode bypass capacitor, I've seen several values used on the thread, ranging from 220uF to 1000uF in various schematics. Has the consensus been reached at 1000uF? Elna Silmic II is readily available in 1000uF @ 35V.

If you don't get BG look for Panasonic FM.