• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

I've been thinking, what's the difference between a differential pair and common cathode sigle ended circuit + shunt regulator?

Ultimately, the current flows in them form a seesaw - one high/the other low, don't they?

I only followed this thread loosely. Sorry if that would've been brought up.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas, you feed your 6V6 line stage from Maida-like series regulator. Yet, in your "Simplistic Mosfet HV Shunt Regs" thread you say that the Shunt regulator sounds much better than the Maida one, which makes a lot of sense. Usually, when all else is equal, shunt regulators are much better and quieter than series ones. So, wouldn't this 6V6 line stage benefit from Shunt regulator?

I'd rather start the project with one type of regulator and I trust your experience.

When I had made that build I had not developed the HVSS yet. It will normally be recommended over the Maida. It takes a 400V driver PNP for over 300V that we need here.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...stic-mosfet-hv-shunt-regs-50.html#post1909446

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've been thinking, what's the difference between a differential pair and common cathode sigle ended circuit + shunt regulator?

Ultimately, the current flows in them form a seesaw - one high/the other low, don't they?

I only followed this thread loosely. Sorry if that would've been brought up.

Nice visualization of the current flow.

Wouldn't electrolytic cap in parallel to the filament improve DC smoothness?

I always do this. In the Mœbius heater supply I use a 4.7μF NP electrolytic across the circuit before any dropping resistors, In the Machine supply (with its greater draw and thus lower effective Z), a 10μF. The sonic result is that any residual hum from cathode coupling is now a very soft, rounded sound, with little or no 'buzz' left in it, and so much less conspicuous at any level. I try to keep Xc of the capacitor at least 50 times that of the heater circuit at 60Hz, to make sure the blue smoke stays in the cap.

Aloha,

Poinz
AudioTropic

Thanks for the input....I can see your design has transcended time and this is a good thing for anybody into this hobby.
Someone said that 6v6 round plate tubes sounded better, is this something you agree with?
I let everyone know about my ramblings and sparkles I’m about to produce with my unsteady pulse. :eek:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Such anecdotal info comes from using 6V6s in power amplifiers. In our case you would need the quieter ones. This is weird what we do here, using a power tube for a line preamp, changes things. The Tungsol 6V6GT (Russian made reissue) proved both good for vibrations and sonics IMO. Suspend or soft rubber decouple the tubes on a small sub chassis, it pays off. If you have enough gain for your amp in the chain, utilize the bootstrapped cathode follower, much less susceptible to vibrations or for heaters & anodes heating up noises.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
P.S. Here are some check points for you as for DC bias. Having measured it with enough 6V6GT I can say that the LT Spice model kindly provided by Robert McLean absolutely complies for bias and gain. Most tubes measure ''well near there'', some are spot on. R1 is substituted by the volume pot in the real preamp of course.

Attachments

• Salas6V6GTlinePreamp.gif
    Salas6V6GTlinePreamp.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 2,259
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, I´ll test the CF first., which BTW I´m not very fond of those with my short experience with other tubes. Have you tested output impedance for this configuration? Or have an estimate?

~200 Ohm. Teflon 0.1uF/200V input capacitor is highly recommended. Even 0.022uF will work due to the extra high input impedance of the bootstrap (post#144).

The bootstrapped CF offers one other benefit.
There is a DC bias across the input coupling cap which means that the dielectric stress is never reversed (with audio signal) and therefore there is no hystersis to worry about. That means that the performance of any good polypropylene cap will equal that of a Teflon or (sweeping generalization) any other piece of audio jewellery cap.
Cheers,
Ian

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't be sure before you test. The rough guideline would be they bias at 22-25mA in these circuits here with ~200V developed across them, that you will see 0.0xxx THD for 2.82V PP out, and microphonics will be tolerable in line pre duty.

Was looking thru the thread and didn't see this mentioned...

Has anyone tried a string of LED's to get cathode bias voltage? (Like SY's Red Light District amp.) Five white LED's all in a row should get 15V or very close. Only a few ohms effective resistance. That would get the cathode bypass cap out of the circuit.

Or maybe a zener string? (High wattage zeners needed.) I calculate less than a half of a watt dissipated across cathode load (15V * 0.025A = 0.375W).

--

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Did try on different preamps (12B4 & 6SN7). But I preferred the classic R//C tone, so I did not try again in this one. An easy and maybe worthwhile test for those who will make this pre non the less. Its a system synergy and preference area the tone thing should we not forget. Same goes for the tubes brand choice, output cap choice, etc.

P.S. Don't know about white LEDS, but red, green, yellow, IR, are surely the low noise ones.