6V6 line preamp - Page 90 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2012, 07:48 PM   #891
disco is offline disco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Wot... cpb? jumpyer?

weekend .... you ?
well , but is

Quote:
Psssst, Salas has gone sleeping - now we can have some fun....

Last edited by disco; 15th June 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 15th June 2012, 08:02 PM   #892
stajo is offline stajo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Bypass, like our sooner doom now i have to score two goals if you excuse me. Later on we'll speak ctbp. Zlatan
Old 16th June 2012, 02:28 AM   #893
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

Been lurking here for a while...I think I will whack up this linestage on a DIY PCB. I have a regulated B+ and heater supply that will work nicely.

Thoughts on the layout? I didnt label anything but it is a pretty simple design. Only thing I am struggling with is the input ground on the "right hand" side.

I would P2P it but my chassis layout sort of demands as low a profile as possible.

EDIT

I plan to use a regulated 12.6V heater supply so 6V6's wired in series. Is this thinking OK? Supply is good for 2A.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6v6 linestage.pdf (10.0 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by cjkpkg; 16th June 2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 16th June 2012, 06:46 AM   #894
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkpkg View Post
Been lurking here for a while...I think I will whack up this linestage on a DIY PCB. I have a regulated B+ and heater supply that will work nicely.

Thoughts on the layout?
I plan to use a regulated 12.6V heater supply so 6V6's wired in series. Is this thinking OK? Supply is good for 2A.
Sure. Use same tube brands preferably. 6V6 is prolly ok but for example 6C33 i had examples where i had to match even filaments if putting them in series ps. who cares about football anyway?
Edit
And I would make a star-grounding b4 putting everything to chassie if I were you, looking at the pic.

Last edited by stajo; 16th June 2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Forgot
Old 16th June 2012, 06:59 AM   #895
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
Wot... cpb? jumpyer?

weekend .... you ?
well , but is

Dont mention the war. Ya jumpyer. Smaller bypassing the bigger. Quicker then. I hate football.
Old 16th June 2012, 07:01 AM   #896
disco is offline disco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Being 'simple' for a design and performing well is no mean feat. I don't think a printed circuit board makes an improvement for the circuit as it's built from a handfull of parts, some bulky resistors and electrolytes which you may want to exchange in future.

For the voltage regulator a PCB might save you some space but again it's good practice to have this few parts hard wired to the reg on a sink. When heating 6V6 in series, be sure to use the 'GT' version as they have a fixed warm up period. Older types don't so you'll possibly ruin the heater. From a developper's view not so safe idea in my opinion.

Football? Tennis you mean
Old 16th June 2012, 07:13 AM   #897
diyAudio Member

Dude I hardwired 2 SSHV2 on a cooler. I think it was somewhere there I had to consult my shrink. I recommend everyone to start discoing here. That means skip regs, build a proper c-r-c and listen. Then add **** and listen

Tennis is my life

Last edited by stajo; 16th June 2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 21st June 2012, 11:45 AM   #898
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Switched polarity of outputs leaving phase reversal. Trimmed voltage with everything hooked up to 340. Switching outputs stopped oscillation. Filaments are 6.07 and 5.99. Offset of about 20mV. Here we go.
I had mine wired up with a temporary PSU from another project I will likely abandon on a test bench. With switching of no signals or speaker hookups all I got was loud hummm. I switched the 6v6 pre output so signal goes to RCA output ground and ground goes to RCA output and hum was much less but no gain and the volume control in the path did nothing.

If I put the RCA cable signal (center pin) on the ground part of the RCA output(outer ring) then I get a clean, quiet signal with no gain but it is very quiet.

So, I am thinking I need to have all my signal wiring as per "normal" signal to signal and ground to ground and switch my speaker outputs on the power amp?
Old 21st June 2012, 11:49 AM   #899
diyAudio Member

Also, heater voltages in line, B+ of 315v, and 14V on the cathodes. Otherwise built exactly per the original schematic.
Old 21st June 2012, 01:15 PM   #900
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I had mine wired up with a temporary PSU from another project I will likely abandon on a test bench. With switching of no signals or speaker hookups all I got was loud hummm. I switched the 6v6 pre output so signal goes to RCA output ground and ground goes to RCA output and hum was much less but no gain and the volume control in the path did nothing.

If I put the RCA cable signal (center pin) on the ground part of the RCA output(outer ring) then I get a clean, quiet signal with no gain but it is very quiet.

So, I am thinking I need to have all my signal wiring as per "normal" signal to signal and ground to ground and switch my speaker outputs on the power amp?
THats what i ended up doing.

Hide this!Advertise here!