6V6 line preamp - Page 84 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2012, 02:54 PM   #831
Nikitas is offline Nikitas  Greece
diyAudio Member

fellas,
I need your advice...
I "have lost the ball" concerning the transformer.I find output/amp/driver/preamp/blabla transformers and I have no clue what the differences are...
Can you suggest one to me for the 6v6?
And also an inductor (choke??) cause I haven't found anything yet at 20H@>100ma..
Maybe a link or two?
Old 12th June 2012, 03:07 PM   #832
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

why not use regulated supply, instead of chokes
Old 12th June 2012, 03:16 PM   #833
diyAudio Member

Mekanixz,
Try building it according to schematic, using CRC prefilter into SSHV2. If you like it, then you can add CLC prefilter later. Get the main amp section up and running cleanly first. I'll help anyway I can and I am sure others will do the same.
Old 12th June 2012, 03:50 PM   #834
stajo is offline stajo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanixz View Post
Maybe a link or two?
EDCOR - XPWR124-120

Antek - AS-2T350

Old 12th June 2012, 04:04 PM   #835
diyAudio Member

Concerning where you live:
Toroidal transformers Amplimo or Toroidal Transformers Amplimo - toroidal-transformer.com

Staffan
Old 12th June 2012, 05:05 PM   #836
vgeorge is offline vgeorge  Greece
diyAudio Member

Here also : Lundahl Transformers, audio transformer and tube amplifier transformer manufacturer
I use their chokes and they have some that are 20H - 200mA. You can even specify them custom values.
For mains transformers, you can always order locally - cheaper also - I use custom ordered ones EI from Giatras. Just be sure to give the correct specs.
Old 12th June 2012, 05:08 PM   #837
diyAudio Member

Thats where I live
Old 12th June 2012, 05:43 PM   #838
disco is offline disco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default built one

A very simple box with parts I had at hand. Went overboard on two serial regs (were laying idle) and NOS Fivre tubes. Just one input (ha); I need the preamp's amplification to drive a small poweramp. No hiss or hum (after I connected the heaters to ground). These are old parts and certainly no boutique products so I won't comment on initial reproduction quality. It's alive and it works smoothly, not bad for a days work.

Click the image to open in full size.

Somehow PSUD simulated out of the ballpark. I use a voltage doubler which was calcutated for 480V but the thing delivers 530V. Of cause this strains the capacitors on the raw voltage so I had to series connect some, this not the way I normally work things out. The PSU has low capacitance and gives almost 2V ripple which is swamped by the regs to less than 1mV (on the Fluke that is).

Promising design Salas, I like it and will like it more once built to higher standards.
Old 12th June 2012, 10:43 PM   #839
mgreene is offline mgreene  United States
diyAudio Member

Default reg questions

I have been following this thread on and off for a while. Salas et al, I have a few questions:

I gleaned from the responses to Buzzforb that the circuit sounds best with 2X the Salas SSHV2 instead of the Maida referenced on the schematic?

Buzzforb mentioned effects on his heater voltage due to something he did to the SSHV2 (it was late when I read this). Was he talking about the LV Salas regulator or just the regulated heater circuit shown on the schematic?

I have just in the last week become aware of the group buy for the SSHV2, which is already closed but I see that some Johnny-come-latelys have been advised to contact Teabag anyway – which I plan to do. Here is my question – is the SSHV2 the same as the circuit shown by Salas in his link to Maida circuit – or is Salas’ SSHV2 design shown somewhere else? I ask in case I cant get boards from Teabag.

Salas – this thread really makes me want to build this circuit. In fact, I have been thinking about trying to figure out how to combine it in one box with DanL’s version of Hagerman’s octal coronet phono circuit.

regards

mike
Old 12th June 2012, 10:55 PM   #840
diyAudio Member

First post has link to parallel regulator, i.e. SSHV2. I used one per channel as suggested by Salas.

Hide this!Advertise here!