• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have used much club stuff on it and it was vigorous, just referred to what I did stick there lately when I was re-testing. Here is the FFT I just took again BTW. Its with a 100K Black beauty pot at half way with 0dBu input. (65536 FFT 48K SR Blackman3 window no smoothing).

Attachments

• Snap 2012-12-28 at 23.25.47.png
    Snap 2012-12-28 at 23.25.47.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 547
Triode cathode followers is a mess but small signal pentodes is promising. Please Salas, whirl up the dudes to make a decent EF86 CF or something. We really need it.

Staffan

They are a mess only if you don't know how to implement them. The classic example is a 12AX7 as cathode follower in guitar amplifiers. When implemeted properly, they are indispensable at the output side of a line pre. EF86 in that role is unsuitable due to low anode current.

They are a mess only if you don't know how to implement them. The classic example is a 12AX7 as cathode follower in guitar amplifiers. When implemeted properly, they are indispensable at the output side of a line pre. EF86 in that role is unsuitable due to low anode current.

12AX7 indispensable at the output side of a line pre, hear hear. Give us the fax in fidelity plz.

Staffan

Hi Salas,

It's nice preamp.

I really like 6V6's sound, especially GT with smoke glass. I have some questions for you:

- What is your latest version of schema ? in first page ?
- Did you compare sound quality between 6V6 and DHT, like 26, 31, 71A, 01A, 45... ?
- So far are you still listening this Pre ?

Tks,

QA.

I dug up some C3g and C3n. I love those little neaties when removing the cap. They are made for Deutche Post with aditional caps and high specs. Can make a nice follower with 250 on anode and 150 regulated on G2 maybe.

Then I also found some also lovely 6G6G that can be a candidate in the same setup as the 6V6 anode follower. Somewhat lower current but they have a lovely sound.

Staffan

I've been reading the whole thread over the last couple of days, and I'm going to have a bash at building one of these.:)

I recently built a preamp designed for a 2A3, with a 6V6 as the anode load. My version used a Russian 6S4S or a 6B4-g which is the 6.3v octal version.

This pre sounds really good, but suffers from a degree of self noise which is annoying.

My plan is to build a prototype on breadboard using an anode CCS for the 6V6 and a slightly modified PSU from the pre I've just built. That should give me a flavour of what it can do.

If all goes well then a PSU with two shunt regulators (one per channel) using an EL34 and an 0D3 will be built and a resistor load for the 6V6. I've got 95% of the bit's needed to build this, so I will start tomorrow and update here on how I'm progressing.

Happy new year to you all.:D