6V6 line preamp - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2007, 11:55 PM   #51
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by salas

<snip>

- I was listening to Pictures At An Exhibition (Wiener Phil. / Previn) just before. The double basses and tympani in The Great Gate Of Kiev left me speechless. The attack and body was elastic, majestic and instantaneous.

<snip>

One of my favorite works, I've got at last count at least 8 different recordings of it on vinyl and cd..

Old 24th October 2007, 12:40 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Well we are happy guys then... I also have some of the Pictures and also like Carmina at least 3 CD ea. plus some LP that since a while I dont play (no TT)
Old 24th October 2007, 01:13 AM   #53
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos, 1965 Abbey Road EMI. Lucia Popp, Gerhard Unger, Raymond Wolansky, John Noble. I got it on LP when I was 12. I still have it. Best Carmina I ever got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orff-burgos.jpg (58.3 KB, 2460 views)
Old 24th October 2007, 01:52 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Sounds Old???

I'll try to locate one Carmina I got in LP and show a pic as well, this one has a somewhat different mood which I like.

I need someone to cut me a CD from it since I only have a copy on tape some 15 or more years old, hope the LP is not wrapped
Old 24th October 2007, 02:52 AM   #55
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Its actually very well recorded, the one I have shown. Amazon has it on CD.
Old 25th October 2007, 12:07 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Well… I’m committed, just ordered from The Tube Store a matched pair of JJ 6V6S and a JJ GZ34S/5AR4 companion tube rectifier.

This will be my first project with a tube rectifier, PSU will be similar to Salas posted schemo, iron will be made by yours truly and I have sufficient caps for the project except the cathode by pass for which plan to order some Nichicon Muse GZ and Kiwame resistors to cover those critical places.
Old 25th October 2007, 12:13 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

BTW, I do have a Haltron 5Y3GT rectifier but this seems small for the task. Opinion on this regard please?
Old 25th October 2007, 04:57 AM   #58
diyAudio Chief Moderator

You will lose 20-30V against the bigger types. But if you make the chokes bigger, like 25H, and lighten the caps to say 100uF, your voltage will be ok, and you wont be pounding the 5Y3 with big reverse current. Anyway, you are bound to roll rectifiers for other reasons... Namely tone preference, and system tone matching. The rectifiers are very much audible, especially in this preamp. Also use a 15W bleeder to ground after the first choke. Roughly as many H, so many kOhm. That will regulate the choke. Sounds quieter.

P.S. Since you are making the iron yourself, why not upgrade the trafo to say, 2X320VAC, so you can have spare voltage for 25H-30H chokes and different rectifiers? You can always trim the voltage with a series resistor right after the rectifier. That way, hum will stay low always.
Old 26th October 2007, 03:48 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

I was drooling over the Tubes Gallery thread an run over some very nice gear posted by Teablue (from Saigon) which has been the only contribution to DIYaudio

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...29#post1147029

within about 6 projects he shows a 6V6 preamp with 5Y3 but no other information regarding operating point or B+ nor other PSU details. I PM him to see if he could share the schematic with us.

Thanks Salas for the previous post with lots of useful information, BTW it was not very clear in your schematic the amount of capacitance used at the input of the PSU filter was that 2X 2.2uf after the rectifier? I know one can play with it to adjust the voltage but was curious enough to ask.
Old 26th October 2007, 06:00 PM   #60
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Correct. 2,2uF//2,2uF PP 630V.

Follow the basic circuit, and do not worry much about the exact supply values. The main thing is to keep it valve rectified, with at least one central and two CLC branches. The more you can increase L and moderate C without getting hum, the best the sound. It depends on your speakers sensitivity as well. The more sensitive they are (revealing noise more), the more heavy handed you go on the supply hum rejection values.

Hide this!Advertise here!