• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
AC voltage on the heaters for the 6v6 was inho the way to go. I tried various DC set-ups including a SSLVR and all of them sounded dead to me. So I am back to a simple tranny and a resistor to keep the voltage down to 6.1V. It is a matter of opinion though.
No Hum.

Did you also try the 317 chip current source heater like in the original schematic by the way?

This is what I have. I don't recall why I stopped testing it as I don't really like the trash that I see with the 60Hz harmonics. I know I had a significant reduction in 60,120,and 180Hz with DC.

Regarding the 1kHz signal and harmonics, virtually identical or at least no difference I could see. +/- 1 or 2dB

I recorded this almost a year ago, 30Dec11, so I am a little sketchy on all the details, but I know I had better traces for the AC filament

Attachments

• 6V61KhzFFT ACvsDC.jpg
    6V61KhzFFT ACvsDC.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 627
OK,

FINALLY have had a chance to finish this pre correctly...sort of...

Running a broskie PS-3 - SS B+ and regulated SS heaters.

B+ is 330
Cathodes see 15V
Kiwame resistors
Silmic cathode cap
Russian 6П6С

All values per schematic

I look forward to giving this some serious listening. I have reverted back hard to the Aikido but this pre now shows promise...I think that it is just as quiet as the aikdio...this is impressive to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20121103_162257.jpg
    IMG_20121103_162257.jpg
    628.9 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:
Well as it turns out in switching around my sources that when I am using my satellite TV as the source - music channels - I have a faint buzzz. Not like before but there just the same.

Turntable? - no buzzz
Ipod? - no buzzz
Satellite? buzzzzzzzzzzzz

The turntable and the ipod are absolutely dead silent.

So this leads me to addressing the satellite input. Basically i have a homemade cable which runs about 30 feet from where the satellite receiver is to the other room where the amps are. This long run of cable must be the culprit. Step 1 was initiated today in the form of a pair of Edcor matching transformers. As much as I would have like some Jensen iron here I could not justify spending upwards of $200 when the Edcors are $10 each. Certainly worth a try to see if the buzz is tamed at all or for good.

Depending on the result I may splurge for the Jensens.

Well as it turns out in switching around my sources that when I am using my satellite TV as the source - music channels - I have a faint buzzz. Not like before but there just the same.

Turntable? - no buzzz
Ipod? - no buzzz
Satellite? buzzzzzzzzzzzz

The turntable and the ipod are absolutely dead silent.

So this leads me to addressing the satellite input. Basically i have a homemade cable which runs about 30 feet from where the satellite receiver is to the other room where the amps are. This long run of cable must be the culprit. Step 1 was initiated today in the form of a pair of Edcor matching transformers. As much as I would have like some Jensen iron here I could not justify spending upwards of $200 when the Edcors are $10 each. Certainly worth a try to see if the buzz is tamed at all or for good.

Depending on the result I may splurge for the Jensens.

Try a ground isolator on the tv signal cable.

/Staffan