• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Will 2 6ax4 damper diodes in full wave mode be good? ive read that they need a lot of current load for them to sing. I have about 16 of them, and thinking of using them. I'll see what I can do with psud as soon as I get home.

Never used such but I have read they are good. Others may have practical experience to inform you more if they read.

Ill try using 6ax4 instead. Hope theyll sound good. By the way if ] just use ac on the 6v6 heaters are they going to cause hum?

i do not think so, look at the heater cathode voltage ratng, they should be about 300volt or so...http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/093/6/6AX4GTB.pdf

do not put too much faith on "rectifier tubes singing", their mission in the amp is to convert ac to dc and not have too much forward drop....

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ill try using 6ax4 instead. Hope theyll sound good. By the way if ] just use ac on the 6v6 heaters are they going to cause hum?

What voltage those gonna give for that Hammond TX or what else you may take care about them ask Tony, for 6V6 in the line amp and AC I can tell you it can be made hum-less with careful construction. Especially for the proximity of heater cabling and signal cabling.

i do not think so, look at the heater cathode voltage ratng, they should be about 300volt or so...http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/093/6/6AX4GTB.pdf

do not put too much faith on "rectifier tubes singing", their mission in the amp is to convert ac to dc and not have too much forward drop....

Hi tony,

Thanks for the input. Yea I got the 6ax4s for less than a dollar a pop. Actually I got them at a garage sale along with a single altec 605a for $10 bucks.

Yes I use the SSHV2.
FYI, I also use a ccs as the load. I built the Bootstrap CF.

To lift the heater it is a simple, a relativly high impedance voltage divider. If you know your B+ voltage then calculate the value of the divider to get the proper voltage. You will also need to bypass the lower resistor to ground with caps. I used a 1uF poly and a 47uF electrolytic 50V I had out of my parts box. I will see if I can draw a quick schematic later and post if someone doesn't have it handy. Pretty common approach

Voltage divider for lifting heaters

Here is what I use for lifting heaters. Lots of opinion and theories as to what voltage to lift heater to. I try to keep it simple.

For me: Rule number one. Make sure that the heater to cathode voltage is within spec. Then, if feasible, select a voltage to get the heater above the operating cathode voltage slightly.

Attachments

• Voltage Divider003.jpg
    Voltage Divider003.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 585
Yes. V1 is the "new ground" for the heater circuit. I just tie one leg of the heater trany out to it. In my case I rarely use the PT heater windings and opt for a seperate heater tranny. But this works in any case.

Attached photo is of complete heater supply including voltage drop resistors for 6.1V and Voltage divider for lift. You can see the caps and smaller resistors buried underneath Vdrop resistors

Attachments

• 6v6 heater supply web.jpg
    6v6 heater supply web.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 547
Last edited: