• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Looks nice for load lines in triode connection, but I can't foretell, you should sort out some good bias point and try in the same general config I guess. Does not look like getting 5W as easy as the 6V6 bottle in this one, but it could be better for acoustic feedback due to smaller bottle? Maybe. Run it conservatively. Note the 250V plate limit also.

Hi all,

I've been using 6v6 linestage now for more than 2 years without any problems. I'm still in love with it and would not part with it. Thank you very much salas!

My friend heard the preamp in his system and would like me to build him one, so we got the power transformer and choke for the project. Trouble is I do not know how to use psud to get the optimum performance from the power supply. ( (I really do not know how to use the psud):(

I need help on designing a proper power supply, Please help!

Hammond 272hx power transformer
Hammond 193j
5r4gb rectifier, type 83 mercury rectifier,
4.7 if oil cap
470uf caps

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Ivar

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
With Hammond 272HX and 5R4GY use that arrangement, set the reg for 300V out and use 7.5K anode load resistor. It has enough current limiting not to hammer the rectifier. If you don't have the budget for a choke use a 220R in its place. Use 5W resistors. Also a 220K 2W bleeder across C2. Avoid mercury rectifiers, they can be dangerous if they break.

Attachments

• PSUD.png
    PSUD.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 548
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Is there enough heatsink for the kandkaudio regulator in this application? At 2x bias current it will be shedding quite a bit of heat for the little ones posted in the web page.

Looks like an unauthorized variation on SSHV1 with depletion mode CCS and on board sinks not enough for 6V6 line pre. The guy maybe uses my name on the board if I can see well from some silk screen edge, beyond mentioning it and linking my thread in his text. I will email him.