• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Salas.
I am going to begin to work on my 5U4g supply. I will need to eventually steal the secondaries used for 6V6 filament to power the rectifier tube, leaving the need to add a trafo for the 6V6 filament. Can i run this second trafo off the the same AC line as the primary one and do you have any suggestions for ground layout to avoid hum. I have the 40uF Ge caps i was telling you about, plus a 4.7uF cap to precede these to lessen strain on rectifier. Will i benefit sonically from more capacitance seeing as how they are really cheap at $6 for 40uF. Also, in sims, two smaller inductors best a single larger inductor. what is your opinion and experience on this topic. Last question, at least for a minute or two:D, If placing prefilter in seperate case, a small cap will need to be placed in main chassis for any noise pickup over umbilical, correct.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
But that is a 5V 3A filament rectifier, how compatible with what you got for 6V6? That general configuration sketch with blocks in previous page can be thought of like the B+ rectification and 6V6 heaters blocks include two different Tx and you can picture your gnd like there. Two smaller inductors create one more filtering cell and the action is compound so its more filtering, the simulator is right of course and you can use such when the caps aren't too costly to source. For SSHV2 I would place that last termination capacitor very near to the reg's input and big enough, like 4u7 or more to decouple well all that cable run.

Salas,
The amp sounds wonderful. I almost bought some Vcaps for it that a guy is selling, but will probably go with Mundorf unless you have a better suggestion. I have Obbligato PIO, 2.2uF now. Good cap, but this thing is worth the better. When all is said and one, I will have an all Salas FE. Your 6v6 will get SE play and dual mono DCB1 will get balanced play. Will increase in ccs bias of SSHV2 yield same results as DCb! increase. If so, I am going to need a bigger case for bigger heatsinks. Thank you for introducing me to tubes as well quality PSU. I have learned much through your help. I know it doesn't seem like it, but every screw up leads to a new revelation! I have other projects to tend to, but i will be asking about tube power amp before too long.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Buzz:

Well, there is a huge contention area about coupling capacitors, especially if only one in a simple circuit, so I suggest you stay away from extra expensive ones, you may as well prefer your PIO in the end. One nice combo to try is Russian K75-10 paper-mylar bypassed with 0.1u Teflon FT-1. As for Mundorf, the plane vanilla supreme ain't too expensive and its balanced, the silver in oil supreme shows more ''illumination'' in the mid highs and is generally more resolute and defined but the big question remains the synergy with the loudspeakers and room tone and what it compliments it better. The silver in oil had a rumor of degrading fast in hot environment due to its mineral oil chemical becoming volatile with temp something, btw.
Your CCS current is OK, pushing the SSHV2 is precarious at 300V. Maybe 5mA more and its OK as you are.

My ccs is set at 45mA right now and really cannot be pushed further without larger sink. I have some auricaps as well Clarity esa i can try. Just going to enjoy it for a while. One question, i had a hum problem on one channel that i got rid of by rechecking connections. Plugged it up today with little to no noise. Listened for an hour or so and hum comes back on other channel. Is it possible that the too much heat is causing this hum to come on after a period of time. It is not preamp relayed ans is present with just power amp plugged in. I assume it is a bad ground connection, but everything looked good before.