• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just clean and neutral. I simply used dependable resistors that I had in a range of values. I was more keen about establishing the G3X version electrically. Stability, gain, response, THD+N profile. The meat and bones stuff. Volume pot, Ck bypass cap, and Cout are arguably the more influential passive parts.

6V6 tubes themselves make a noticeable difference is my experience. Especially in the G3X where other parameters are more fixed. I could also see it in the THD and noise profiles on FFT analysis when I was exchanging brands and vintages.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its a few parts only circuit so everyone who wants to try several passives of his liking is easier to do so. Some will say its trivial some will relish. I only say its a solid circuit don't change the values, just see to have enough working voltage and wattage spec.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It's a very good reflection. Happened the same reflection using noDac: when used the step-up in place active gain transparency was absolut best but bass lost authority, added 12B4 or 6V6 more bass less transparency, added xfeed to cans less transparency but soundstage more centered & listened better the insturments. engineering are compromises.

26 DHT & 6V6 G3X are both very very transparent devices.

Last edited: