• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Save your money. ;-)
If the filament supply has 1.2A per tube capability there is opportunity to drop in test the lower voltage higher Gm spec 6W6GT.
Its a dirt cheap NOS variety because not in demand due to weak voltage spec for the average guitar amp's plate and screen rails.
But the G3X pre doesn't use it like that. No problemo. It will probably give same THD figures but with halved output impedance.
Has much stronger heater to support its wide cathode. Originally used in TV sets to produce more current at lower rail voltages.
Expect 25-45V lower plate voltage and 5-10mA higher bias current when dropped in any existing Salas 6V6 preamp schematic.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Just arrived the Vishay Dale CMF55 & the Ohmite Audio Gold 10W (Salas I know isn't necessary the high power wattage, but it's to compare vs the Mills MRA-12W for cathode.

Attachments

• IMG_20230320_141755.jpg
    IMG_20230320_141755.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Salas I guess for NFB version without volume pot have I to not use 1K grid stopper resistor nor 1Meg leak resistor right? Of course have I to add the NFB, I ask because at the moment I will use for noDac line level amplification not line level preamp?

Attachments

• NO NFB ACTUAL 19-2-2023 6V6 Salas G3X schematic PIN ASIGNAMENT.jpg
    NO NFB ACTUAL 19-2-2023 6V6 Salas G3X schematic PIN ASIGNAMENT.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 187