• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Electrostatic screen is internal thin metal tape but not shorted turn, for less capacitive coupling between primary and secondary. Opposes mains dirt noise to reach the secondary. Has a wire to channel what it collects to the mains grounded chassis.

Flux band is external loosely coupled thicker strap shorted turn to stop magnetic leakage. Works against radiated hum field. Not necessary to ground it. Some do also ground it.

Well, just to be clear. I think it's a good idea to pursue using the 6v6 as primary tube for an audio preamp.
I have no equipment that requires a preamp, like a turn table or such. But I hope offering such projects to others helps your business.
this is a discussion thread for Salas' design. There is no commercial product on offer here, or promotion for one.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Following the good experience settings up well the SSHV2 for Valve Itch I revisited the 6V6 NFB PSU, one 220uF of the two in the BG gone so added one 820uF 550V Kemet and now the CCS set to 60mA without problems but still can't reach the 330Vout because the Vin SSHV2 is 325V so I left the B+ 300V waiting the new mains power transformer.

Attachments

• IMG_20230123_155315.jpg
    IMG_20230123_155315.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 58