• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

I'm paying attention to the proper clearances for high voltage, and there are ground pins between them. I'm going off of acceptable clearances for higher voltage as defined by IPC2221, 0.8mm is sufficient for up to 500 volts, which is far more than this board is likely to ever see. Maybe I'll crank it up to 1mm just to appease any nervous folk?

I plan to order a set of five of each and I'll build one of each, and send out the others to other users for testing if they look good to go.

Great to have the novel option. Speaking of which has anyone built an el84 version? Would one expect more or less noise and distortion or less vs a 6V6?

EL84 triode will have slightly more distortion, but a higher mu- about 20 with a bypassed cathode. It should also get slightly lower output impedance due to the higher gm. Noise I can't say.

Attachments

• 1MReO.png
    1MReO.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
I just gave everything a once-over final look, and ordered 10 noval and 10 octal boards in swooky blue :)

Hopefully I have them within a week! I went with DHL express shipping which in past instances has been very quick, although it's been a year and a half since I did a PCB order so who knows how it will be affected by the current state of the world :)

I'll probably build up one of each myself, and then send the others out to others. Anybody have a pair of 6AQ5 to donate to the cause? I have a couple seven pin sockets already :)

I think I'll start a new thread once they arrive to keep the development and further discussion of the PCB from cluttering up this thread. Then we will do the 6P1P variant as well, and any other changes can be discussed. There will also be a power supply PCB to develop as well.

Last edited:
I am interested in a noval 9 pin board to try out the EL84s. I am willing to pay for a full price to help to upset part of your cost because I tend to too slow on all my projects and don't want to holding your progress.
The 6V6 preamp that I brought to the 2019 BAF took several months to finish before the week of the venue start. Kind of rush to put things together built.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Single L-Adapter is capable of powering two 6V6 heaters no doubt. I had used a 310 0 310 VAC 200mA secondary transformer in the original for supporting various rectifier tubes. With first smooting capacitor sizing and RC smoothing cell sizing a 300 0 300 VAC Tx could also do the job. You have to always read the datasheet of a rectifier tube type to see about max allowed first capacitor value, voltage loss curves, etc. The SSHV2 itself will do alright with 10V-20V DC drop across it. You take that into account too.