• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Those kind of words are going to be subject to interpretation buy your speakers, your musical tastes, your associated equipment, your mood that day, and many more things that have nothing to do with the construction of the tube itself.

Get a few and try them. :) :) :) I will say that the current production tubes, both European and Asian are surprisingly good.

Good to hear that the current production of 6V6's are fine and dandy. I have the Tung-Sol reissues from Russia and they seem very good to me. However, my former experiences with 6SN7's surely confirms that there are significant differences between tubes, like for example that Sylvanias are brighter than RCA's. Some sort of universal descriptions should still be possible as long as we don't talk about "good sound" or "bad sound".

I prefer the USA (or post WW 2 European equivalents) NOS tubes... Sylvania, RCA and all the other brands that were just rebranded major brands.

I believe the cathode / heater design and construction is far superior in the these tubes as well as the metals used for the plate and other parts of the tube.

Can somebody list worthy 6V6 candidates with some sound descriptions to try out with this preamp? Please use words like fullness, transparency, darkness, lightness, extention, bass, midrange, treble, 3 dimentionality, dynamics and so on. The things I've read on the net almost always seems related to guitar amps, and it doesn't really tell me anything about the use in a preamp.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/102352-6v6-line-preamp-8.html#post1514563

And maybe sounds cleaner than regular tubes: YouTube

It probably sound similar and cleaner than this small tube, but the 6V6 is much larger and has a different tone. Anyone who heard both the Korg Nutube and the 6V6 preamp?

An old school tube preamp is beyond my capabilities so I might try to build a Nutube preamp instead.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
bubba177 - does it have dual primaries? You could wire it for 240v, and get 1/2 the voltage on the secondaries, and that might work... But I'd still put a decent size heatsink on the LM317's, as it still has a lot of voltage to regulate away (by turning it into heat)

I know that it has been stated that the input Z of the amp receiving the signal from this preamp should be 15-20k, but how strict is that?

Can I run the 6v6 gain version, with 3uF output caps, 2ft max cabling, into the unbuffered version of this ncore amp with input Z of 5.3k ohms?

https://www.hypex.nl/img/upload/doc/ncore/nc1200/Documentation/NC1200_datasheet_R8.pdf

RC calculation says the roll-off is 10hz, and I believe the gain version output Z is 1.5k, so should be sufficient? What would be the negative repercussions if any?

If not enought juice, can I run two 6v6s in parallel?

Last edited: