• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Greetings All. I am about to build Salas' 6V6 Line Preamp using anode chokes. I have a dozen good quality anode chokes (all the same model, 1850 DCR/225H/15ma) in my parts box and would use them except that their current handling capacity (15ma) is somewhat less than the 22-23ma that the choke will need to pass using Salas' design. I suppose two chokes could be used in parallel to raise their current handling ability to 30ma but paralleling them would halve their inductance - something I don't want to do. The reduced inductance could be overcome by adding another paralleled pair in series with the first paralleled pair to bring their inductance back up to the original 225H spec. Essentially, two paralleled pair of these chokes in series would provide the inductance spec of a single choke but double the current handling capacity. Any thoughts or comments at this point would be appreciated. Many thanks. -Edward

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't go to such lengths. You can use just one at 14mA bias. Because of the very high apparent anode load provided by such a choke the THD is predicted to about -85dB anyway. I don't know if you have use of the elevated to 19.3dB voltage gain though. Or how microphonic will such gain emerge out of such a tube type. Build it as a test fixture first to evaluate better before investing in any good parts and a box I would recommend. The tube is going to have about 275V on its anode and about 21V at its cathode with your choke data and 300V B+ so it will dissipate about 3.55W. Use a 2W cathode resistor. R1 is for the simulation. Use 1Meg or skip it when having a pot. 20-50K log pot is fine.

Attachments

• 6V6_CHK.png
    6V6_CHK.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 664
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thank you, Salas, for your prompt and informative reply. Much appreciated. Regarding the 19.3dB voltage gain ... I really have no need for that much voltage amplification. Even the 15dB voltage gain of the original design was more than I could use. I considered using anode chokes in this design with view to bettering the already remarkable sonics of the original design. Gilding the Lily projects rarely go as planned. Again, Salas, many thanks for your help with this. -Edward

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you, Salas, for your prompt and informative reply. Much appreciated. Regarding the 19.3dB voltage gain ... I really have no need for that much voltage amplification. Even the 15dB voltage gain of the original design was more than I could use. I considered using anode chokes in this design with view to bettering the already remarkable sonics of the original design. Gilding the Lily projects rarely go as planned. Again, Salas, many thanks for your help with this. -Edward

You are welcome. There is always the cathode follower alternative too. There your choke can push THD to super low levels even when handling large input signals. 300V B+ 14mA bias again.

Attachments

• 6V6_CF_L.png
    6V6_CF_L.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 618
Joined 2007
Paid Member
My intention now is to make both versions. Whether they will exist simultaneously or not, I don't know. Having both on hand would be optimum for comparisons though. I'll build the unity gain version first and see how it performs in the system. Thank you for helping with this, Salas, it's made a big difference. As mentioned previously, pics and comments will be posted soon after it's built. -Edward

What design has higher output the standard version or the cathode follower? Has anyone up'd the gain of the standard version with good results. (different operating point)

I need lots of gain! I'm in the layout design of this 6V6 Preamp to match my 2A3/45 x 6SN7 amp I built based on DHTRob's design (Thanks Rob!) The amp is remarkable. I drove it with a preamp that had an amplification factor of 34 but feel I could take even more input to take it to the next level. I'm hoping this 6V6 design will do the trick.