• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

My supply voltage is low at the moment. I have not yet got the proper transformer. Will take a few days.

Currently:
V+ = 190V
Vp = 93.4 ( tube1 ) 92.6 ( tube 2 ) ( Rp = 11K , Rk = 680 E )
Ip = 8.76 mA 8.81 mA
Av= 16.59 dB with 1000uF and 13.26 dB without 1000uF

I've used the 6L6 many years ago. Maybe I'll try it again. It was very good though I don't remember details. It drove a unity gain Latfet output stage.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Zo is 4K without the 1mF when it is 1.1K with it for those Rp, Rk, B+ values and operating point. It has some more 3rd harmonic and less output current drive now than at the original op. point of course but its passable till you go higher rail. All your numbers simulate nearly spot on. I don't see difference in gain dB for popping in the 6L6GC though.

I just plugged in the 6L6 ( Electro Harmonix )to see what happens.

Supply voltage +192 V
V plate 91.2 V ( tube 1 ) 90.8 V ( tube 2 )

I p = 9.21 mA and 9.29 mA

Gain = x 6.5 with 1000 uF ( 16.26 dB ) and x 4.4 with no 1000uF ( 12.87 dB ) All levels measured with a 0.2 V input.

Don't hear any immediate differences . Bass might be more full ? But that could be an illusion. I can't do any controlled AB tests now. Need more time for that. But I will play this all day and then switch back to the 6V6 to see if I can make out any significant difference. This currently doesn't appear so.

But a couple of points. The 6L6 seems more microphonic ! In fact you can hear the ' internal wires vibrating and dying down' ! So it's worse !
But the 6V6 had another problem. It picked up hum if a hand was placed near the tube. But if I grounded my other hand , it would go away. So it's very sensitive to electric fields. An earthed metal chassis is necessary and maybe a perforated shield around it also !
The 6L6 however didn't seems sensitive to the field around it ! Quite interesting . I , for no reason at all , expected the 6L6 to be not microphonic at all ! I think all this is being aggravated by a thin pcb and without a solid mount.
With a good board with proper mounting this problem of microphony would be quite low I think.
I need to change the output caps to film caps next.
After that I'll turn on the 6922 preamp this evening and see how it compares ! :)

How about a 845 ? :)

Last edited:
I think it's just the mess of wires close to it. I don't see any oscillation on the scope ( 100 MHz).
The pcb just sits (with spacers) on another bare pcb with copper facing up. There is no connection to the mains ground at the moment. However both tubes behave differently to the same situation.
Is it worthwhile getting the Mullard and Tungsol 6V6 ? I have to get it either from the US or Singapore.

Last edited: