6V6 line preamp - Page 136 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2013, 12:22 PM   #1351
stajo is offline stajo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
20mA is the preamp's bias current, CCS should be 40mA when using double SSHV2, or 60mA when using common.
Ok, that makes sense. Is anyone using single SSHV2? Does it take the current and what happens to the channel separation without finishing with separate LC/RC.

Staffan
Old 5th January 2013, 12:42 PM   #1352
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Least happens with 10mOhm reg impedance, still double mono is superior. DimZ build was single common configuration, a few pages back he posted a couple of photos.
Old 5th January 2013, 01:19 PM   #1353
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
It takes >=50K amp to do this FFT. The resistive one holds spec (worse) down to 20K, and the buffer down to 5K. Good luck when making it.
Salas, Could you explain further? Are you saying that this is sim'd performance of this amp with choke and resistor is better or worse. Have considered getting some chokes just to try. Just got new power transformer so will be rebulding it all.
Old 5th January 2013, 02:16 PM   #1354
DimZ is offline DimZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

yeap, single reg for 2 channels, takes the current like a champ ...

set to 63mA and 340V output ...

some day I'll try double SSHV2 to see -or better hear- the difference ...

*just visited a friend, I took from him a pair of kenrad 6V6 coke bottle and borrowed 2 tube testers (many 6v6 and 26 tubes to test) ....
its gonna be a funny weekend ...
Old 5th January 2013, 02:37 PM   #1355
vgeorge is offline vgeorge  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
No doubt!
Let us know how LC load performs vs RC. I'm quite confident it will be better sounding.
I am going to try with LC first. If I don' t like the result maybe try with RC, but I don' t think so.
Old 5th January 2013, 03:10 PM   #1356
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgeorge View Post
I am going to try with LC first. If I don' t like the result maybe try with RC, but I don' t think so.
Just a suggestion to avoid confusion. L is induction, R is resistance. LC and RC is low-pass circuits consisting an inductive resp. resistive load in series with a capacistance parallelled to ground, in audio concepts often used in filters, like smoothing B+ or i speaker filters to cut high frequences. Rp is tubes inner resistance, Ra is anode load. If La is a common term I dont know but it would make analogue sence? Or what shorts do you prefere guys? Bermuda? Just watched swede juniors loose the hockeyfinals against USA. Cheers!

Staffan
Old 5th January 2013, 08:49 PM   #1357
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Salas, Could you explain further? Are you saying that this is sim'd performance of this amp with choke and resistor is better or worse. Have considered getting some chokes just to try. Just got new power transformer so will be rebulding it all.
Choke is better and it needs lighter amp load to maintain all the goodness in this instance. Not that it is a complete slouch at 20K output load, but see the difference to 50K that I had posted before in #1348.
Attached Images
File Type: png Snap 2013-01-05 at 23.47.02.png (22.6 KB, 207 views)
Old 5th January 2013, 09:04 PM   #1358
diyAudio Member

Buzz, Salas is speaking in tounges here as you notice. Every constructor will. That is becaus how your eventual preamp will work is 100 % dependent of your load, ie the poweramp or whatever.

Sum shorts: By every anode loaded preamp you test it will sound completely, and I mean compleatly different, against your load, ie the power amp.

Some anode loaded preamps will just fail, or go out of band if you load it to heavily.

The safest preamps (the best imo) doesnt care about the load. That is cathode followers or XXX:x anode loaded OPT preamps.

To many times I have heard people say "This is my preamp" and when they come home it sux.

CFs is hard to construct, very demanding and OPTs are expensive thats why.

Salas products are the best, no kidding, the very best. But you have to take the context in abbreviation.

Staffan
Old 5th January 2013, 09:40 PM   #1359
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

'xample of moderately decent CF ( all kudos to late AW , and boyz from Tek & HP)

Germanium Amp

third (right) pic

Last edited by Zen Mod; 5th January 2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 5th January 2013, 11:06 PM   #1360
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
'xample of moderately decent CF ( all kudos to late AW , and boyz from Tek & HP)

Germanium Amp

third (right) pic
Yes ZM, im sure you could land any triode into a decent CF with enough steering. I think you could do it without sand tho, you just have to use the penthodes capabilitys. In laboration...

Hide this!Advertise here!