6V6 line preamp - Page 133 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2012, 08:36 PM   #1321
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I have used much club stuff on it and it was vigorous, just referred to what I did stick there lately when I was re-testing. Here is the FFT I just took again BTW. Its with a 100K Black beauty pot at half way with 0dBu input. (65536 FFT 48K SR Blackman3 window no smoothing).
Attached Images
File Type: png Snap 2012-12-28 at 23.25.47.png (10.6 KB, 282 views)
Old 28th December 2012, 08:46 PM   #1322
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stajo View Post
Triode cathode followers is a mess but small signal pentodes is promising. Please Salas, whirl up the dudes to make a decent EF86 CF or something. We really need it.

Staffan
They are a mess only if you don't know how to implement them. The classic example is a 12AX7 as cathode follower in guitar amplifiers. When implemeted properly, they are indispensable at the output side of a line pre. EF86 in that role is unsuitable due to low anode current.
Old 28th December 2012, 08:55 PM   #1323
stajo is offline stajo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by costis_n View Post
They are a mess only if you don't know how to implement them. The classic example is a 12AX7 as cathode follower in guitar amplifiers. When implemeted properly, they are indispensable at the output side of a line pre. EF86 in that role is unsuitable due to low anode current.
12AX7 indispensable at the output side of a line pre, hear hear. Give us the fax in fidelity plz.

Staffan
Old 28th December 2012, 08:57 PM   #1324
diyAudio Member

U understood me wrong! I said 12AX7=useless as a cathode follower!

Do u still have a fax!!
Old 28th December 2012, 09:02 PM   #1325
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by costis_n View Post
U understood me wrong! I said 12AX7=useless as a cathode follower!

Do u still have a fax!!
Great bro. Subject was small signal CF and no gain tho. Drive carefully.

Staffan
Old 29th December 2012, 12:44 AM   #1326
tcqanh is offline tcqanh  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas,

It's nice preamp.

I really like 6V6's sound, especially GT with smoke glass. I have some questions for you:

- What is your latest version of schema ? in first page ?
- Did you compare sound quality between 6V6 and DHT, like 26, 31, 71A, 01A, 45... ?
- So far are you still listening this Pre ?

Tks,

QA.
Old 29th December 2012, 02:55 PM   #1327
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

-Its the same core circuit as in the links in first page. Can use 7.5K load and 300V B+ alternatively. Most use SSHV2 reg when making it these days and a light CLC before it.
-Not directly.
-Yes, quite enough.
Old 29th December 2012, 04:26 PM   #1328
diyAudio Member

I dug up some C3g and C3n. I love those little neaties when removing the cap. They are made for Deutche Post with aditional caps and high specs. Can make a nice follower with 250 on anode and 150 regulated on G2 maybe.

Click the image to open in full size.

Then I also found some also lovely 6G6G that can be a candidate in the same setup as the 6V6 anode follower. Somewhat lower current but they have a lovely sound.

Click the image to open in full size.

Staffan
Old 29th December 2012, 05:16 PM   #1329
diyAudio Member

Very nice pics, thanks to share.
Old 31st December 2012, 01:42 PM   #1330
pre65 is offline pre65  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've been reading the whole thread over the last couple of days, and I'm going to have a bash at building one of these.

I recently built a preamp designed for a 2A3, with a 6V6 as the anode load. My version used a Russian 6S4S or a 6B4-g which is the 6.3v octal version.

This pre sounds really good, but suffers from a degree of self noise which is annoying.

My plan is to build a prototype on breadboard using an anode CCS for the 6V6 and a slightly modified PSU from the pre I've just built. That should give me a flavour of what it can do.

If all goes well then a PSU with two shunt regulators (one per channel) using an EL34 and an 0D3 will be built and a resistor load for the 6V6. I've got 95% of the bit's needed to build this, so I will start tomorrow and update here on how I'm progressing.

Happy new year to you all.

Hide this!Advertise here!