• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Hello guys,

Is it okay to put a virtual center tap from the heaters to the ground with two matched resistors even if the heaters are elevated?

Thank you...

No. Then you first reference heater center to ground and then to your elevated voltage. You can put the virtual center to your elevated voltage on the divider tho, or just skip the divider/elevating and tie it to ground.

I am considering trying a 6ax4 graetz PSU for my rebuild. I have the chokes and caps, so why not. Wandering if I am correct in assuming that I will drop about 15-18V across the 6ax4's for about 80-100mA of current needed for dual regulators. Do I need to quadruple this if using a graetz configuration. Here is the schematic I am using.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZXzBbxBRj...c/i_zXDoVqTHw/s1600/6CB5A-PSU-Graetz-6AX4.jpg

Perhaps a better question. How important is the setup before the SSHV2. Does it negate fancy PSU setups?

Last edited:
Graph at the bottom seems to show that Vdrop is dependent on current through diode, same as with SS. I may be reading it wrong. Two SSHV2 will far roughly 100mA if we go for double the channel bias. That seems to correlate with a 17V drop across the diode/tube. Lundahl 1650 has 4 6.6V windings at 3A. Use two for rectifier, two for 6v6 regs. Also have two Antek toroidal that could provide similar configuration. I want this to be the last time. Have cases designed for main box, just working on PSU box.