6V6 line preamp - Page 132 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2012, 04:40 PM   #1311
stajo is offline stajo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
With such low gain main amps yes, gain aids their dynamics even on sensitive speakers. There was a very easy to understand article by member Pano about gain distribution in the whole chain. A rather underestimated thing in home audio but every one involved in live and recording systems knows its of cornerstone importance.
I wonder why this is not taken more in concideration then i does. Its really hard to find a power amp that is not going to clip with an input over 2 V RMS and still nearly all nice sounding preamps preps out a humungous 10-20 V RMS at no attenuation with standard 1,5-2,5 V RMS source input.

That puts us to cathode followers but they are hard to make sounding really great or OPTs on the gain preamp that costs a bunch and is hard to find a perfect match on.

Something went wrong. Maybe we should construct less input sensitive poweraps and focus on the pre's instead?

Staffan
Old 28th December 2012, 05:47 PM   #1312
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

If with tubes and when not liking followers, yes use low gain amps. Best SNR is when signal is stronger up ahead.
Old 28th December 2012, 06:42 PM   #1313
diyAudio Member

Triode cathode followers is a mess but small signal pentodes is promising. Please Salas, whirl up the dudes to make a decent EF86 CF or something. We really need it.

Staffan
Old 28th December 2012, 06:46 PM   #1314
diyAudio Member

+1
Old 28th December 2012, 07:03 PM   #1315
diyAudio Member

I think I could supply all beleavers here on the forum with C3G or C3N for the small buck. They are promising. C3g-C3m-info. Matched if you like.

Staffan
Old 28th December 2012, 07:05 PM   #1316
diyAudio Member

I'm in!
Old 28th December 2012, 07:08 PM   #1317
DimZ is offline DimZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

me2
Old 28th December 2012, 07:25 PM   #1318
diyAudio Member

Truthfully we usually cut off the metal caps and use them for solution buckets when glueing or modding speaker cones. But they are really linear and nice tubes and as cf I have a feeling they're gonna bring magic. We have to dig deep tho. Maybe we find aged booze. Cya in a bit I think we can find nice sockets also. I like the backelites even if the teflones is supposed nicer. Appearence gets you layed

Staffan

Last edited by stajo; 28th December 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 28th December 2012, 07:59 PM   #1319
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I was measuring the 6V6 bootstrapped follower few days ago, and it was still very good technically although my toroid is on same top plate and buzzes a little after some years it got a bit loose. I put some Stan Getz and was very musical also. Wait, maybe I can measure it again and keep an FFT screen clip to post in a few minutes.
Old 28th December 2012, 08:11 PM   #1320
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
I was measuring the 6V6 bootstrapped follower few days ago, and it was still very good technically although my toroid is on same top plate and buzzes a little after some years it got a bit loose. I put some Stan Getz and was very musical also. Wait, maybe I can measure it again and keep an FFT screen clip to post in a few minutes.
Dig up the ol Ministry CD or sumething that you used to imp on the ladies wearing the longside striped leggings. Stan I Getz easily on my EL84 but im in for the kick-bass. Its in the G3g followed by a EL34 Shade Triode, I feel it

Staffan

Last edited by stajo; 28th December 2012 at 08:15 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!