• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas,

Thanks again... ill see if heyboer can make those opts. My friend heard my 6v6 pre and loves it. His amps is a 3 stage pp 6l6 design which already has enough gain that a normal 2v source can drive it to full power.

He wants to build a 6v6 too and I told him to build the cathode follower version but since an output transformer can be used to step down the output of the common cathode design, what step down ratio is ideal so the common cathode 6v6 will have a 2v output?

I think just the capacitive coupled buffer is enough in his case. Still less THD and mechanical feedback without the Tx cost. If he wants Tx coupling and CC topology instead it should be 1:10.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/149211-6v6-music-machine-build-help.htmlello Guys,

Hope every body is well. Im new to the forum and new to diy. Im thinking of building the 6v6 cathode follower as buffer for my passive preamp. Looking in my parts box ive found a power transformer and a choke that I got to build a 6v6 pp amplifier of poindexter... here is the attached scheme of the powersupply. Will it work as the power supply for the cathode follower version?

Thank you..

Hi Fellas,

Ive read that some of our members have built the 6v6 cathode follower version.

To those who have built it and heard it, what is your impression to how it sounds compared to other pre? Is it just as good as the common cathode version?im just excited and wanted to know your impressions.

Hi Salas, thank you for your help. I'll build the cathode follwer version and report back.

Hey fellas,

Just an update on my build... top plate chassis is almost done... the middle tube between the 2 6v6 is just for probs as underneath it will be an ldr volume control...

Do I need to.elevate the heaters? My b+ estimate is 330v to 340v? How do I calculate the.voltage divider to getthe right.voltage? I.aapologize for.all.the.questions...

Ty

Attachments

• 20141031_030739.jpg
    20141031_030739.jpg
    848.2 KB · Views: 779
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Maybe, depends on the wiring and what comes in from source. If you will hear no whistling its probably not excited by inductance yet. If you got a smaller value than 1K in hand use it. Solder it directly on the grid's socket pin with a short trimmed lead.

Hello guys,

Salas, thank you... and thank.you all for the guidance and help... I finished the preamp and it sounds amazing.. wow... it is very natural and dynamic... I have a lil hum and hiss but very much tolerable... im using ac heaters and elevated it to 33vdc... also my power suppl is clc.... 0.22uf to 20h to 1000uf to15h to 470uf....

The sound is phenomenal.... made my.class d icepower amps come.alive...very rich tones, right timbre, and soinds big and effortless....

Thank.you.guys again...

Attachments

• 20141114_143609.jpg
    20141114_143609.jpg
    812.9 KB · Views: 542
  • 20141118_224056.jpg
    20141118_224056.jpg
    862.1 KB · Views: 518