• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

When you say active splitter, I would assume the the 6dJ8 used in the impasse would work? Do you have a suggestion in this regards. It seems funny to put a little tube behind such a brute. I would go with LTP arrangement, but I would really like to preserve the sound. My amp can accept a SE signal and then convert, but I have an affection for balanced for some reason.

As for resistors, I had planeed on trying the AMtrans in this setup. what do you think about low noise/ppm resistors here, at least in grid position? Z foil is used on my brothers RIAA and I will be using the same with mine.

Asked BudP about possible transformer to use. Right now just going to rebuild as posted in your schematic. Gonna play with regs a little, as getting these right seems to add to ability of the preamp. I haev the SSHV2, of course, but may try feeding it with K-multiplier. Also gonna try the HV version of the Jung Super Reg from EUVL posted in that thread. Should be a good comparison for the SSHV2. I also added the final stage of a Millet design i found for use with the CS reg for the filament reg. It basically adds a common mode choke after the LM317 CS. Got 3 sets of tubes, so may try both gain and no gain version. Chose Ohmite WN low PPM, non inductive resistors

Salas,
I have the parts to go dual mono all the way through the prereg. My question is whether or not dual preregs along with dual SSHV2's will create any ground loop issues. I am not doing p2p but instead going with pcb based layout. Here is main board layout and filament reg. I havent completed prereg until I hear from you. I have two Lundahl chokes for prereg adn just deciding whether to combine them in one prereg or seperate them and use for two channels

Attachments

• 6v6.png
    6v6.png
    26 KB · Views: 554
  • Filament Reg.png
    Filament Reg.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Happy Easter. Looks like it will be working good enough as a series reg, although not very sophisticated on the self noise department. Check out Keantoken's HV capacitor multiplier filter too when considering series solutions. Not a regulator, it will follow input level changes slowly. But it will filter rail hum with low output impedance, and will not ask for that choke. Takes two, one for each channel since it can only do up to 30mA safely. Look there under "Other adaptions of the Kmultiplier" The K Multiplier