• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Why do you use the 6AX4 after the rectifier bridge ?
Slow startup. (Even though I'm told cathode stripping does not occur because of HT when the heaters aren't warm yet) And to "hide" the noise from the solid state rectifier. I suppose it is just a habit as well...since I'm told the capacitors filter it all out...(the ss rectifier noise)

I have 2 6AX4 in hybrid in one of my EL84 PPs. The ups is nice and slow wake up time, stability and ability for current and voltage. Downs are their own filament current draw. They're a bit of an overkill as a pair for a 6V6SE (330 mA:cool:, for a need that might be 40 to 100mA depending on your thought config, ie single/dual CSS etc.

An AZ1 mesh plate would be a good option that I like up to some 80 mA if you got one.

alter R3 to 18R , if needed

If I calculate right this circuit gives me between 2,79-2,84 in CSS resistor value (edit, calculated with 18R on R3, which I had handy). When I tested some different tubes CSS regulated they were close to a voltage, atleast it was over half a volt as I remember, in difference between each other with he same resistor values.

Ie different 6V6es give about the same voltage (linear or regulated) voltage driven but differs alot when current regulated.

The thing is that I would not only want to tweak some with starvation, I would very much like to compare different tubes with the same voltages over the filaments.

Almost done soldering, I'm beginning to wonder if this is going to work.

The 10 R Flathead pots is good for a watt or 3 I guess. Maybe i should rethink?

Attachments

• set.jpg
    set.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 364
Last edited: