6V6 line preamp - Page 115 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2012, 04:49 AM   #1141
tubo is offline tubo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I will be ordering 2 sshv2 kits from Teabags group buy, glad I found it and just in time.
Old 28th October 2012, 05:01 AM   #1142
diyAudio Member

Will 2 6ax4 damper diodes in full wave mode be good? ive read that they need a lot of current load for them to sing. I have about 16 of them, and thinking of using them. I'll see what I can do with psud as soon as I get home.
Old 28th October 2012, 05:05 AM   #1143
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
That would give you sufficient voltage for regulating at about 340V with 47R R1, but 5R4GY is a more open sounding tube in my opinion. But its more limpid for voltage loss. So 300V and 7.5K load does not make it worse and you can use 5R4GY.

Thanks salas
Old 28th October 2012, 05:20 AM   #1144
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubo View Post
Will 2 6ax4 damper diodes in full wave mode be good? ive read that they need a lot of current load for them to sing. I have about 16 of them, and thinking of using them. I'll see what I can do with psud as soon as I get home.
Never used such but I have read they are good. Others may have practical experience to inform you more if they read.
Old 28th October 2012, 05:48 AM   #1145
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

dampers can be had at a dollar each....they have indirect heated cathodes and therefore lower forward voltage drops even at current levels seen with the traditional tube rects....
Old 28th October 2012, 05:50 AM   #1146
diyAudio Member

Ill try using 6ax4 instead. Hope theyll sound good. By the way if ] just use ac on the 6v6 heaters are they going to cause hum?
Old 28th October 2012, 05:51 AM   #1147
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Thanks salas
Another thing, you wrote you already got Hammond 193J choke, yes? Make R1 in the PSUD picture 150R for the 272HX Tx and 5R4GY with that choke. It had a 5H example.
Old 28th October 2012, 05:53 AM   #1148
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Ill try using 6ax4 instead. Hope theyll sound good. By the way if ] just use ac on the 6v6 heaters are they going to cause hum?

i do not think so, look at the heater cathode voltage ratng, they should be about 300volt or so...http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/093/6/6AX4GTB.pdf

do not put too much faith on "rectifier tubes singing", their mission in the amp is to convert ac to dc and not have too much forward drop....
Old 28th October 2012, 05:54 AM   #1149
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Another thing, you wrote you already got Hammond 193J choke, yes? Make R1 in the PSUD picture 150R for the 272HX Tx and 5R4GY with that choke. It had a 5H example.
Thanks, ill do that.
Old 28th October 2012, 05:56 AM   #1150
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
What voltage those gonna give for that Hammond TX or what else you may take care about them ask Tony, for 6V6 in the line amp and AC I can tell you it can be made hum-less with careful construction. Especially for the proximity of heater cabling and signal cabling.

Hide this!Advertise here!