• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Mind posting final version. I am ashamed to admit i liked the SS rectification version best, but blame this partially, at least(or completely), on my own ignorance. I wil have to give it a shot, but would like to have your circuit as well. If nothing else, seems clever.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hey Salas,

Still very much enjoying the Salas 6v6 pre! I find it hard to imagine anything being better. Still have not added the SSHV2's. I just have so little motivation for adding something to a project that works so well.

Regards,
Bas

If it ain't broken don't fix it they say...

Still do publish your B+ PSU config and your heaters PSU config when able since there are experiments going on here and guys would love more options that work well I think.

This is what I use. Simple but it works. (Plus I had the pcb's lying around doing nothing) I have the current source after the voltage source. But really some dc followed by a current source is good enough.

The pcbs can still be ordered if you don't want to do it p2p.
Scroll to LM317 PCB
A simple General Purpose PCB for Voltage and Current Sources

Or I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives on ebay.

Attachments

• lm317pcb5.gif
    lm317pcb5.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Start by figuring out your max and min values for the resistor to get the desired set span.

Then choose a fixed resistor with the max value.

Then another fixed resistor that parallel with the first gives you the min value.

Add a pot in series with the second resistor.

That way you cant frye the pot turning it to zero.

Guess I'm ending up with expensive pots then since we're talking atleast one watt

Most current will pass the fixed resistor.

Adding a series resistor to the pot takes away the the high load at lower settings for the pot so no need for a huge pot.

You know the value of the resistor and the current for the tube that gives you the voltage drop across resistor.

Voltagedrop and value of second resistor gives you the max disipation in the pot.

3R3? And maybe go lower then 12 in series with the pot to use that one resisting more then just a few ohms to ease it from passing high current. This is where I get a short in my head when I try calculating the wattage on the pot.

You can look at the series resistor and pot as a voltage divider.

So if you use a smaller series resistor you increase the load of the pot.

From the tube current 0.45A and the total resistor value 2.7ohm you get the voltagedrop over the resistor.

If you split that over the series resistor and pot you can calculate the dissipation in the pot.

Last edited: