• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ok. I load them with usual dummies and put 20 V on input and measure ovet TP?

Dude my LCR tells me I have 1000 uF over the 0,33 cap:D
On the the other board it says 0,42.

There is no need for dummies for CCS only test in low voltage. The shunt part won't get enough to reference up. Just return a crock cable to the voltage source from where the CCS tail ends and be sure you measure no resistance shorts. That one checking virtual capacitance I have no guide for.

Seems like it was the IRF. They show similar values now. I'll replace the filter resistor to and give it a go.

Here the lightning struck:D

Attachments

• lightning 001 (3000x2000).jpg
    lightning 001 (3000x2000).jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 339
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Replacement of IRF840 didnt help, I got like 5 V out of it so I replaced the SK117, took some 430 ish value, and both KSA. Now the diode lits up nicely and it flows about the same voltage out as what I load it with, 315 V. Turning the VR doesnt seem to affect anything. Ideas?

You mean the voltage trimmer? It can be easily dead too. There is not much contact material in there to sustain lightning or over-current.

Since you got one working unit start by measuring the static values that will give you a hint.

If you run out of parts i have several sets of sand and resistors for it but you´ll have make a trip out in the bush then :D

I measured different values both over trimmer and the KSA next to it. And I have lots of sand but a trip to the bush is always nice. I love that area and I would love to come over and bench some stuff or so when I have the opportunity.:)