6V6 line preamp - Page 104 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2012, 02:19 PM   #1031
disco is offline disco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

To sing like the nightingale is an expression for the excellence of someone's vocal quality. Not referring to the comic but to Kondo San who auditioned his audio system at the Milanese operahouse was a little vague indeed. Never mind the bollocks but the point is this regulator does it for me, final design or not.
Old 2nd September 2012, 03:37 PM   #1032
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Salas, Bas, Buzzforb -

(I.E., anybody who has built one of these as Anode follower in the basically stock configuration)

Can you measure and tell me the voltage at the anode?

I'm wanting to breadboard this and see how it works, but I can't easily get a 340v B+ from my spare parts. Closer to 300, so the anode resistor will have to be changed.

(Also, I am interested in trying the Janus shunt reg from Tubecad, and it has a max output of 300v. Janus Shunt Regulator Kit And here is the manual - http://www.tubecad.com/Product_PDFs/Janus%20Rev%20A.pdf)

Is there any reason why I couldn't use a .47uf or a 1.0uf cap on the output? Again, I have no .68 on hand.
Old 2nd September 2012, 03:52 PM   #1033
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

About 215 or 220V from plate to ground I think, but its installed now can't open it for just a quick confirm.

You are altering the bias point with such changes you realize. Let me see what's maybe worthwhile at 300V B+ will let you know fast.

You can use some cap value sufficient for the input impedance value of your system's amp. What is that figure?

Finally, what an 6L6 is looking for in a 6V6 thread?
Old 2nd September 2012, 03:54 PM   #1034
diyAudio Member

Just checked and that is the range i had written down. You gotta try the SSHV2. I bet it kicks the butt of that other thing. Sorry for the obvious plug
Old 2nd September 2012, 04:13 PM   #1035
diyAudio Chief Moderator

@6L6

Try 8K 10W anode load 300V B+ and 500R cathode resistor. Trim those for about 140 to 150V from plate to ground and about 10v cathode bias. Not as symmetric on chart lines spaces as the other bias point, looks decent enough though.

Let me know your amp's input impedance to see about the output cap.
Old 2nd September 2012, 04:15 PM   #1036
diyAudio Member

Wow! That was fast. Thanks!

Salas - Well, I can make a 340v supply, and I guess that I should. I was hoping to avoid using that particular transformer. (It's big)

As for power amp, it's going to be either a F5 or Millett DCPP. (There are 2 other amps in various stages, but those mentioned are complete right now.) I've a set of transistors for a F5T, but the more I think about it, the more I want an F4... Especially with the gain this circuit has.

Buzzforb - Yes, the SSHV2 looks nice indeed! However, I am not particularly interested if there is no circuit board. Are any available? If so, from who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas
Finally, what an 6L6 is looking for in a 6V6 thread?
I must be lost.
Old 2nd September 2012, 04:15 PM   #1037
diyAudio Member

Salas, Since i have the tubes, what bout a Flea Watt 6V6. I am going to have some high dB drivers soon and would like to try. Any recommendation on output transformer.

@6L6,
TeaBag sells them.
Old 2nd September 2012, 04:40 PM   #1038
diyAudio Chief Moderator

@6L6

Still you can breadboard with 300V for now to see how it goes in general. Should give you 16dB gain as much as an Aleph 1.7 preamp.
F5 has 100K input so 1uF should be good coupling.
Old 2nd September 2012, 04:48 PM   #1039
diyAudio Member

Again, thanks for the speedy response!

Has anybody tried the SSHV2 in this circuit? It's interesting. Or should I just stick with the Madia? Also, what about the big, dumb approach? CLC with lots of H and uf?

Buzzforb - Great! I will contact him!
Old 2nd September 2012, 04:51 PM   #1040
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Salas, Since i have the tubes, what bout a Flea Watt 6V6. I am going to have some high dB drivers soon and would like to try. Any recommendation on output transformer.
Talking about a low power amp, SE or PP? 8-10K primary usually.
Gingertube has a nice Baby Huey or Baby Huey like American output 6V6 version. And there is Poinz's Audio Tropic 6V6 Musical Machine amp of course.

Hide this!Advertise here!