6V6 line preamp - Page 100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2012, 09:56 PM   #991
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

main difference is bidirectional nature of shunt reg

it doesn't mean much when we think of it - God ! , that stage is A class anyway ! , but when you put proper shunt reg , there is always difference in sound

positive , for these old ears

edit - maybe - as solution for including the reg - is to leave intact just LC , toss everything after , and connect reg .

1440x0,046 will probably be enough of overhead

Last edited by Zen Mod; 27th June 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 28th June 2012, 12:43 AM   #992
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

OK Gentlemen!!!!

I have SILENCE!!!!

Here is the PSU I whacked up tonight....It is DEAD SILENT now...ear to the tweeter silent. I tried the bridge with the allied xformer and the caps started to sizzle so I shut it down immediately. Have not tried the toroid yet since the first C in the setup is only good for 400V...I placed an order with Mouser today to breadbord up a proper PSU for it and use the PS1 for something else.

Thank you all for ideas and support here...this one was very frustrating...Salas, my friend, you called it from day one...CLCRC works magic on my setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cjk6v62.JPG (151.0 KB, 262 views)
Old 28th June 2012, 01:03 AM   #993
diyAudio Member

B+ is 322 and cathodes are 14.22 and 14.29...happy camper here....listening to my bass track...baby mammoth "for dear life"...that track will test if you are getting LF or not...
Old 28th June 2012, 01:13 AM   #994
diyAudio Member

Whats your power amp? Glad you got it worked out. This forum is a shining example of the positive ways on wgich the internet can influence our lives. Where else would you find so much help fromso many experienced people. Great lesson as usual fellas!
Old 28th June 2012, 01:16 AM   #995
diyAudio Member

Right now it is the Moskido...aikido front end into a MOSFET power stage...class A inefficient as hell but sounds divine.

and yes...this is THE most helpful forum for diy stuff with people actually HELPING and not criticizing...except when it is REALLY deserved...
Old 28th June 2012, 02:00 AM   #996
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Told ya it was racket with the PS-1 reg for some reason. Since you are gear-less to analyze so we could help you combat that, you are better off with passive filter cells. Congrats for you got music finally.
Old 28th June 2012, 03:10 AM   #997
stajo is offline stajo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Congrats even if I dont quite understand what PSU you really are listening to but anyway here

Click the image to open in full size.

is a solution good for 800 volts as first cap if you dont want to wait for Mouser and DHL. Gives you a healthy bleeder as bonus.

Counts as 47 uF

Best
Staffan
Old 28th June 2012, 11:58 AM   #998
diyAudio Member

So, this is the PS1 HV schematic, and how I temporarily modified it...sorry for the crude paint like image but I think you will get the idea.

I will get a breadboard this weekend and yank you the PS1 PCB.
Attached Images
File Type: png PS1mod.png (44.1 KB, 235 views)
Old 28th June 2012, 12:01 PM   #999
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Did you get full tone and good resolution with this arrangement? Is it OK to you?
Old 28th June 2012, 12:16 PM   #1000
diyAudio Member

Yes, listened for a few hours and it sounded wonderful.

I am using the Russian 6P6S got a great price on a matched pair on "the bay".

I will pull out the broskie PSU and whip up this new PSU and hopefully put it all back together this weekend.

I think I have a 500V 47uF kicking around but I did not order one from Mouser yesterday...I still may play with which xformer to use which will dictate the rectifier style.

After 4 hours the little Allied xformer was pretty warm but not "hot". It is probably working pretty close to the limit though. I would prefer to use the toroid if I can, the heater winding has more headroom too.

Hide this!Advertise here!