• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Questions concerning Aikido Line amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I ´m very interested in building an Aikido line stage.
I´m a newbee to tube and I have some questions:
1) Aikido consists of a SRPP and a white-cathode follower.
(Please correct me, if I´m wrong)
So is it the best solution to have bottom and top of the SRPP in one dual triode (and the cathode follower the other tube) or is it better to have the bottom triodes in one system and the top in the other?
2) Power supply
I have read about the requirement to float the filament power supply to meet voltage limitations. Can someone explain this or post a schematic?
I have heard that a full tube rectifier and tube regulated power supply is better in terms of sound quality. Can someone post aschematic or a link?

Thanks in advance
Rainer

1) No, Aikido is not a SRPP followed by a white cathode folower. It is a grounded cathode amp with an equilivent triode as a load (instead of plate resistor or ccs) followed by a cathode follower with an equilivent triode as a load( instead of plate resistor or ccs). It is generally done with the amp as one tube and the follower as another tube. This also allows for using different type tubes, which would probably lead to a better sound, because a tube that is good at being a gounded-cathode is not necessarily good at being a cathode follower.

2) To decide on the voltage divider for the heaters, you first need to decide on the tubes to use and the B+ voltage you will use. Same with the regulated B+.

I agree with burnedfingers, you should read all the literature on the Aikido first.

Hallo Rainer,

just to add to the previous comments...
there is a nice pdf about building the aikido linestage/headphone amp floating around the net, but it is too large to post. In case you are interested mail me, and I will send it to you.
I am about to build an aikido headphone amp using the noval boards from Broskie....absolutely splendid pcb's!!

As for the filament supply the heaters are elevated in reference to B+...done via a simple voltage divider. I could supply a schematic as well.

Cheers,
Oliver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.