6AV5 g2 driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2007, 06:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6AV5 g2 driver

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I spent few days reading older posts and I liked it very much!

My question in particular is about Tubelab (George)'s 6AV5 push-pull amp, capable of about 80W. The problem is that I don't like solid state stuff (when it fails, quite too often for my tastes, it usually becomes a nice short circuit, destroying the 6AV5), so I was thinking to use a 6BX7 (this tube can handle easily 500V) for the driver/cathode follower. Is it feasible?

I have no problems working with B+ voltages in excess of 600V, but I have no idea about the values of the components to have the driver and the output stage working right, please could you help me? Also, could a section of the 6BX7 handle more than a single 6AV5? (maybe a pair if I want to build a more powerful amp). There is no problem if more than 2 or 3 voltages are needed from the power supply, I can have power transformers wound to my specs for very little money!

Is the plate to plate load about 6,6K or more is needed? Just to find a suitable output transformer in my stash to try the circuit

Sorry for the long post!

Best Regards

Giulio Maiocco
Old 19th May 2007, 09:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Berning EA-230 is a similar circuit - it uses a 6SN7 as a cathode follower. I think it would work with the 6AV5 with minimal changes...Schematic
Old 20th May 2007, 09:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Tom,

now it's time to experiment a bit around the driver, I guess! But don't worry, I like to do this kind of work. If I have other questions now I know where to ask, to a very good forum!

Cheers

Giulio Maiocco

Hide this!Advertise here!