Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Calculate PSU output impedance?
Calculate PSU output impedance?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2007, 03:38 PM   #1
jayme is offline jayme  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Calculate PSU output impedance?

How do I calculate the output impedance of my PSU?

I have a 5AR4 into a CLCLC filter.

If I model it in PSUD, can I determine the output impedance by varying the current draw by 1mA, and note the step difference in voltage that results?

By that method, I currently get an impedance of around 2500 ohms.

By varying the capacitance in each of the stages, I can certainly reduce the voltage drop change. Is this the best way to lower the impedance?

P.S. I just added some series resistance to the PSU to reduce the Q factor and stop some low frequency motorboating. The motorboating is gone, but it doesn't sound as dynamic anymore....
Old 19th May 2007, 08:27 PM   #2
yagas is offline yagas  Greece
diyAudio Member

LC filter's output impedance is high. I think that you're ready to talk about regulation !!

Calculate PSU output impedance?Hide this!Advertise here!