Quick Transformer Question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2007, 06:11 PM   #1
krzanik is offline krzanik  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Quick Transformer Question

I was looking at the James Transformers at Euphonia Audio and was going to buy a pair of the 6113HS (3.5K/5K, 10W Orient HiB), but they are sold out.

However they have another one (6112HS 2.5K/3.5K, 10W Orient HiB) still in stock. I need a 5K primary for the amp I'm building and Euphonia's web site says I can use the 4 Ohm secondary instead:

Quote:
For those of you who are looking for a 5K primary but do not need the bigger 6123HS, you can use the 2.5K tap on this model and connect your 8 ohms speakers to the 4 ohms tap at the secondary, effectively getting 5K reflected on primary
Is this ok (won't effect the sound and is safe) or should I just wait until they have more of the 6113HS's (5K primary) in stock?

Thanks
Old 17th May 2007, 08:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Technically, you can do it, but it most likely will not sound as good. A 5k primary will need twice as much inductance as a 2.5k primary for any given low frequency cut off point. Basically what I am saying is that the 2.5k unit used as 5k will not give the low end response as good as the 5k unit.
Be patient and wait for the real deal.
Or change your operating point so you can use a 2.5k primary. But this probably will not sound as good either.
Daniel
Old 17th May 2007, 09:15 PM   #3
krzanik is offline krzanik  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the information. I figured there had to be a draw back.

Hide this!Advertise here!